Post Charley report

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Homer, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

:unsure: Does any one in the Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda area have any information on Riverside RV Resort on CR 769, 4 miles East of Port Charlotte. I have been trying to contact by phone and e-mail to no avail. Just curious how they came through the storm. ;)

2. samsrv

samsrv
    Expand Collapse

I've been wondering the same thing although I assumed that the electric and phone service would be out for a while. I have never stayed there but was hoping to in the winter. Have you stayed there and how did you like it? High on my priority list is wide sites and a good place for a large dog. I have a 38 ft diesel pusher.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I can't comment on the Cg but I have family in the area and they said it is a mess. THeir house will take months to fix and the area will too. They have not electric, phone or sell service. They have to drive to another part of the state to get a call out and get fuel....though they are hoping this will be over soon.

John S.
    Foretravel U270

4. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

SAMSRV: I have wintered at Riverside RV Resort for 5 yrs and love it. It is a beautiful resort, well managed, with fine facilities. Every thing is extremely clean, well cared for and the manager is great.

They have some pull thru's, most are back in's with concrete patios, some are shaded some are not, I prefer not, that is why I go to Florida. The sites are plenty long enough for your 38 ft plus room for toad. Most are a bit narrow, but all units are staggerd for pretty good privacy. They will have WIFI this winter, it will be a fee system. Much entertainment is scheduled with several music shows coming in.

I understand after finally reaching personnel at the complex, the damage from Charley was relatively light. They have their power back and the phone is up and running. There will be clean up, but they expect to have a normal winter schedule.

I would suggest you book very early, as Riverside generally fills up early and stays that way through 4/1. Many of the guest return year after year. It is a very friendly resort. :D

They are fine with dogs, they enforce the rules on pick up, they have a dog run for your use.

5. AntiqFreq

AntiqFreq
    Expand Collapse

I know that Peace River CG, which is near Riverside CG was almost destroyed. Not open yet, no date when it will re-open.
    All pics I have seen of it show it under water still to this date!
    It is a real shame.
    I have had reservations cancelled at Highland Hammocks in Sebring, FL
    then Jonathan Dickinson in Hobe Sound, FL due to hurricanes and
    I had to cancel my own reservations for John Pennekamp because Hurricane Jeanne was coming! and before that had to cancel Rock Crusher Canyon Pk in Crystal River, FL because of Hurricane Frances!
    I can't wait for hurricane season to be open and our beautiful parks in Florida to start opening again!
    Jo

6. AntiqFreq

AntiqFreq
    Expand Collapse

Peace River and Riverside are open at this time.
    I know they've change - but at least they are open!
    :unsure:

7. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

Riverside is in excellent condition. They are still making MINOR repairs, but all buildings, all sites, and all activities are alive and well.