Pull thru sites

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by johnwadams, Oct 27, 2005.

1. johnwadams

johnwadams
    Expand Collapse

If you have to pull in, unhitch and park your vehicle beside your RV, does this still qualify as a “pull-thru”? We have spent about 2 weeks in one Utah RV Park in 2004 and 2005 that was listed in TL as having 60’ pull-thru sites. My rig totals 53’. When making reservations, I always advise the campground manager/owner as to what I have. The campground I am referring to is a great park and has gotten good reviews from a number of people on this site, but I am always told on arrival to “pull in, unhitch and park your truck behind your picnic table.” In 2004, our group had 8 sites and all of us were told to do this. You have to or you block the road. I spent enough time bicycling through the park to be almost certain they have no 60’ sites. The only time I would have a problem is that if I am just stopping for the night and do not intend to unhitch or if I arrive while it is raining and wish to wait for dry weather to unhook. I’ll take this type of site over a back-in any day, but just wonder if parks like this should be listed in the review as having pull-thru’s, and if given a “yes” for the pull-thru question, the actual site lengths should also be listed. Two of us made reservations at a park in Texas that was strictly a pull in late and leave early one night stop. Neither of us could get our rigs on our “55’” sites without leaving one end sticking out in the road, which we wound up doing. I am just curious as to how to review a park and if others with long rigs have run into this problem.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion, a pull-through site is pulling in one side and when leaving, pulling out (through the site) the other side. It doesn't really have anything to do with leaving your vehicle hooked-up. As to the lengths, it would be nice to have a place for people to list them, but it would need to be something along the lines of smallest, largest, and average sizes.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

JohnAdams:

Of course, a pull through site is supposed to be exactly what it says: One you can pull through without unhitching if you wish. But you absolutely cannot believe what you read in the Trailer Life or Woodalls directories. If these two publications were entered into the annual Putlizer Prize contest for fiction, there would likely be a tie between them for first place. Rule No. 1: Rely only on RVParkReviews for honest appraisals of campgrounds and RV Parks. Rule No. 2: If you must use Woodalls and Trailer life, use them for either (a) to put under your jacks to level your unit, or (B) to start the campfire. Rule No. 3: If you don't need these publications for your jacks or your campfire, and if you find yourself in a place with no toilets but outhouses only, they make excellent, well, you know..........

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

John,

Yes, in a pull thur you would think you drive in one end and out the other. In Mobile, AL we called and ask for a pull thur, host said site was 100 feet long. It was on Sunday am and host was missed. Site was 100 feet long but so bad we had to remove the tow car them back up number of times to get into site. As soon as we moved off site first problem was we could not get out into road due to cars in front of site. People had a move three cars and they we had to back up again to get motorhome in road to hook up tow car. I did not read about any of this in Good Sams. Use this site to see what types of problems you may run into.

5. Blackhawk19

Blackhawk19
    Expand Collapse

I would like to have good info on lengths because if your in route to another
    location and only spending one night you don't want to unhook, staying more
    then one night it's not a problem

6. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

I think length of site on pull thru's is reasonable and should be given. Another thing that is important to the overnighter is easy in/ easy out. I have been in pull thru's that were plenty long enough but there were big trees at the entrance and the exit, or permanent or long termers with cars and trucks parked on the street, making exiting a real problem. I had to wake up a permanent at 6:00 am once in order to get my rig out of the drive. He wasn't a happy face, but neither was I. This should be policed by the c/g owner, but frequently isn't. Policing the rules is a necessary part of a review. :unsure:

7. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

When we are on the road, we spent every night at a different campground until we reach our destination. The reason we chose a campground over a truck stop is quite simple. We want the full hook-ups and room to put the slides out. We have spent 1 night in a truck stop and will never do it again unless absolutely necessary. The ground shook all night with trucks on each side of us running and we could not leave the windows open for the fumes.

9. Ohio-jayco-popup

Ohio-jayco-popup
    Expand Collapse

I'd have to admit the words "pull through" can be tricky. You just assume the site is long enough. If I am looking for a overnight spot I'd just do a Wally world, plenty of pull through spaces. Flying Js, rest stops are a second choice.

10. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I am in agreement with Cheryl. In the last 10 years we have spent nothing less than 6 months on the road per year. We have stayed in camp grounds except for 4 nights. I want full hook ups and I will pay for them.
    As far as the lenght of sites many parks advertise big rig sites. Our rig is pretty long, a Journey DL 39.5 and we tow a Dodge Dakota. I don't have a problem dropping the truck if nessasary.
    I'm really not sure what you are asking for. They are not going to change all the existing sites and the new Camp grounds are making longer sites. The vast majority of camp ground ask how long we are when we call them.
    Why don't you , when you call ask for a site of a given lenght,if they don't have one go else where.