Question: Bigrig Campgrounds Near Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by herbalelsa, Jul 21, 2009.

1. herbalelsa

herbalelsa
    Expand Collapse

We travel full time in a 42' tag axle diesel pusher. We do not plan to drive it on the Blue Ridge Parkway. However we would like use our toad to drive along the extent of the parkway and explore the various scenic sights and trails.

We stayed at Campfire Lodge in Asheville and it was great. Now we're ready to move north to another base camp. Should we drive on the north side of the parkway or the south? What RV Parks — if any, are available that give us access to sections of the parkway as we work our way north to Charlottesville? :unsure:

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I do not understand the driving north or south side of parkway.

Click on VA and them zoom in. You will see Blue dots on map. Each one is a campground that is in the data base here. If you zoom down more and right click on dot it will pull up a city. Open up city and it will list all campgrounds close to that city. This will help find more places to camp.

You may like to stop off at is Meadows of Dan Campground at Meadows of Dan, VA. This park is 1/4 mile off parkway. Campground sits on a hill and has tree and non tree sites to pick from. You have a place in town to eat, candy plant, and take the time to visit Mabry Mill also a great place to eat. Mill is one mile north of campground on the parkway. Use the tow car as parking may be hard at times due to number of people who visit the Mill. Very nice place to visit.

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jul 21 2009, 10:45 AM) [snapback]17638[/snapback]

I do not understand the driving north or south side of parkway.

I think they DON'T want to drive their RV on the parkway, and want to know which side they should travel on (such as take I-85 north) - maybe east or west would've been a better choice.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The part I do not understand is not driving on the parkway. Lots of large RV's on the road all the time. You have places to pull off and view the hills. Speed limit is 45 MPH on most parts of the road and no hard grades pull. Nice way to see the hills. Same with the Natchez Trace. We have never had trouble on Blue Parkway or Trace.