Question On Safety For Solo Travellers

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Oct 21, 2007.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm a solo RV traveller. I'm used to travelling by myself. I had a job involving travel during my career, and travelled a lot by myself. I have been RV'ing for four years. What kind of "safety" precautions do solos take?

One of mine is "gut feeling." If a park just gives me the "heebie jeebies," I'll just turn around and leave.

However, I am about to take a long trip, from WA to CA. I have never driven that far before in an RV, although I have done it in a car. I'm wondering..... Should I take a "blow up dummy" with me? Something? To make it look like someone is with me? Or should I just use the same instincts I use whenever I travel alone?

Just wondering what other "solos" do to keep safe. Oh, another thing, I try not to drive more than 300 miles a day. I don't have a relief driver, so that is my "safety" thing to not get too tired.

I keep telling myself, "I've done this in a car, it shouldn't be any different in an RV."

JJ :unsure:

2. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 21 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]8758[/snapback]

I'm a solo RV traveller. I'm used to travelling by myself. I had a job involving travel during my career, and travelled a lot by myself. I have been RV'ing for four years. What kind of "safety" precautions do solos take?

One of mine is "gut feeling." If a park just gives me the "heebie jeebies," I'll just turn around and leave.

However, I am about to take a long trip, from WA to CA. I have never driven that far before in an RV, although I have done it in a car. I'm wondering..... Should I take a "blow up dummy" with me? Something? To make it look like someone is with me? Or should I just use the same instincts I use whenever I travel alone?

Just wondering what other "solos" do to keep safe. Oh, another thing, I try not to drive more than 300 miles a day. I don't have a relief driver, so that is my "safety" thing to not get too tired.

I keep telling myself, "I've done this in a car, it shouldn't be any different in an RV."

JJ :unsure:

Sounds like you already know what to do..

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We have found that you have to be very observant of everything upon arrival anywhere. We have left places, after only a few moments, because of an uncomfortable situation, at least to us. Better safe than sorry.

4. kitten4762

kitten4762
    Expand Collapse

I drove by myself from Virginia to Montana and then back....4000 miles. My best advice is not to befriend too many people along the way. That stranger in the coffee shop might be nice to chat with during breakfast but who knows what their intentions really are.

And don't drive for so long that you can't keep your eyes open. My trip up to MT took three days of 10 hour a day driving. I rushed the return trip back to VA because I really wanted to get home quick plus save a nights hotel bill, so I split the trip up into two days of straight 15 hour driving...some of it through snow. I was exhausted and probably not the safest driver on the road.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Our personal safety is very important when traveling alone, but loneliness must make the trip that much longer. I do understand your apprehension about striking up or engaging in a conversation with complete stranger(s) when on the road. For the most part, our interactions with others has been positive. We have excused ourselves and have left a situation that did not feel right to us.