Recommendations for Hocking Hills, Ohio

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CDB, Jul 7, 2004.

1. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

We've rented cabins in Hocking Hills for the past two years and now have a 31' TT.

Looking for campground recommendations in the Hocking Hills area. On this site, the only review is for Top O' Caves. We drove thru this campground last year since we knew we'd be getting an RV of some kind soon.

I agree with the review that the newer section with full hook-ups is rather congested. However, the older section looked very nice and had a lot more shade. Possibly electric only in the old section, but I don't know for sure.

Full hook-ups would be nice, but are not necessary. We stay at a lot of state parks which only have electric and are used to conserving water. A quite and romantic location would be a plus, but I know that might be asking for too much!

For what it's worth, last year when we checked out campgrounds, the Hocking Hills state park was closed for installation of a bridge. Can't report on anything there.

We also drove thru a place called Ponderosa, which is a combination campground and horse rental place. I think you can bring your own horses too. Lots of rundown buildings and grounds not well maintained. While the campground portion was rather large, there were only a handful of people there, and it looked like they had been there a long time. Not pretty, but if you want to avoid crowds it looked like the place to stay.

Christopher