Reserve America Reservation

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by hahnderosa, Apr 5, 2011.

1. hahnderosa

hahnderosa
    Expand Collapse

I was VERY UNHAPPY to return home from my recent RV trip to find a card saying I had received a "free" one year subscription to Field and Stream magazine when I reserved Fountainebleau State Park with Reserve America Reservation. I do not recall seeing anything during the reservation process that said I would be receiving this subscription. And, it obviously isn't free because I have to send in proof of paying for the reservation, the card they sent me and a letter stating I do not want the magazine to get a $10 refund. I wanted to warn others who may be forced to use this reservation system with state parks.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Being an educated consumer requires a knowledge of what state or governmental agencies to complaint to in these situations. If no one makes that effort then these marketing techniques will continue.

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I've ended up with subscriptions either to Outside or Backpacker. They are listed somewhere in the fine print. I've never had to prove the reservation, though.

4. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the heads up. We'll keep our eyes open. (or at least try to, with all that small print)

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Can you opt out????

JJ

6. BettyNJ

BettyNJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(hahnderosa @ Apr 5 2011, 01:36 PM) [snapback]25771[/snapback]

I was VERY UNHAPPY to return home from my recent RV trip to find a card saying I had received a "free" one year subscription to Field and Stream magazine when I reserved Fountainebleau State Park with Reserve America Reservation. I do not recall seeing anything during the reservation process that said I would be receiving this subscription. And, it obviously isn't free because I have to send in proof of paying for the reservation, the card they sent me and a letter stating I do not want the magazine to get a $10 refund. I wanted to warn others who may be forced to use this reservation system with state parks.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I recently reserved through Reserve America and they offered the "free" subscription. Then, I saw language about a $10 refund and I thought, if is free, why would they need to offer a refund? Anyway, I declined. I tend to decline everything automatically. I see you didn't see the hook. I forget how well it was or was not buried.

7. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BettyNJ @ Jul 7 2011, 03:38 PM) [snapback]26705[/snapback]

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I recently reserved through Reserve America and they offered the "free" subscription. Then, I saw language about a $10 refund and I thought, if is free, why would they need to offer a refund? Anyway, I declined. I tend to decline everything automatically. I see you didn't see the hook. I forget how well it was or was not buried.

Now this is odd. This might explain where the copy of Field and Stream came from that just showed up two days ago! Wife and I cannot remember subscribing, with all the fund raising from the schools.

I reserved a state park site last month. I have to go back and check the paperwork...

8. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 7 2011, 07:01 PM) [snapback]26707[/snapback]

Now this is odd. This might explain where the copy of Field and Stream came from that just showed up two days ago! Wife and I cannot remember subscribing, with all the fund raising from the schools.

I reserved a state park site last month. I have to go back and check the paperwork...

I will probably be getting Back Packing for the next ten years for the same reason. :(

9. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Mark me down as one who was confused also about the Field and Stream mag that comes on occasion. Never really put two and two together making the connection to ReserveAmerica. I use there service numerous times a season to book New York State Park campsites along with their partnership with Army Corps of Engineer national campgrounds. Every time I log onto this forum I learn somthing new. They should make reading it a public school requirement, gee for at least third graders!

10. ov1to

ov1to
    Expand Collapse

I also received several unrequested copies of Backpack magazine. Then when I was making another reservation on RA I noticed a small box that was already checked that said I would be receiving a subscription to the magazine. I then sent the circulation department of Backpack a strongly worded email telling that I did not subscribe to their magazine and no intention of paying for a renewal or for the past copies I had received and they should not send any future copies. I did get a response from them with their apologies and I never got another copy. So you have to watch the RA reservation site and make sure to UNCHECK the subscription box.