Reserving Camp Sites

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CougarWoman, May 23, 2009.

1. CougarWoman

CougarWoman
    Expand Collapse

We are newbies at RVing. I was wondering what can I expect from a campground when I reserve a space? We have a 34' travel trailer, thank god husband had years of towing/backing expereince, and need to know that when we reserve a pull through or space large enough to handle our behemouth one will be available when we arrive. What is others experience?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Unfortunately you can never be 100% sure the reserved site will be big enough for you. There are many reports on here that complain about spaces being too small for the RV. However, do not let that discourage you. First of all when you make your reservation be sure to specify how large you trailer is (many campgrounds will ask that anyway). Most places will will assign you to a site that can accommodate your RV. If not then you can ask the campground for a larger site. Again many will gladly let you switch sites. You will get the occasional grouch who will be unaccommodating, but in 10 years of RVing that has rarely happened to us. No place is perfect; so just be ready to roll with the punches. Don't get upset over minor things and you will have a great RVing experience.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to tell them how many "slide outs" you have. Some RV Parks have spots so close together that you can ask your neighbor to "pass the ketchup." And that's with your slides IN!

And be sure to tell them whether you are:

A. A car towing a Travel Trailer

or

B. A motorhome towing a car

If you are just a motorhome without a tow car, not as big an issue.

If you camp in State Parks and you are in a 40 foot or more Motorhome, well, a lot of state parks existed in the early days of travel trailers and before the days of Motorhomes, and the state park "pull through" spots will be in an "arc" shape that is more conducive to travel trailers than to Motorhomes. If the "arc" is steep, well, you just try and "bend" your motorhome to fit! If the "arc" is wide, well, then it's not as big a deal.

JJ

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If you unit is 34 feet, that is about average size and you will do great. The years of experience backing will be wonderful experience. Get yourself some Walkie Talkies or develop a set of hand signals. Backing is a two person job. It can be a stressful situation and it is best to decided that it won't be in your case. Remember RV'ing is fun and make sure you keep it that way. Good Luck.

5. Stan47

Stan47
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ May 23 2009, 07:15 PM) [snapback]16543[/snapback]

Backing is a two person job. It can be a stressful situation and it is best to decided that it won't be in your case.

One year when snowbirding, we met a couple who bickered so much about backing-in that they'd developed their own routine. SHE would sit in the campground office, while he parked the fiver, solo.

The amount of help you need in backing depends on whether you are having to turn to your blind side as you back up. If the site is angled off the left side of the through-road, it's easy enough to do solo. It always pays to get out and look at what's behind you first, whether or not you are using a helper. DW does not always recognize obstacles on the ground, because she is too busy looking at the picnic table and power stanchion.

I've found that it also helps to plan your driving day a little on the short side. Things get ugly very quickly when you arrive at the campground already exhausted from the drive, then have to worry about backing/pulling in, leveling and hooking up land lines.

6. Ovalejeff

Ovalejeff
    Expand Collapse

There is always a bit of anxiety on arrival at the campground for me. I have a TT also and we're 52 feet from bumper to bumper. Your husband will know within a few seconds if it's doable with his experience. If the site is questionable, I give it a shot. I have always been accomodated by campground staff for another site, but I always tell them my total length when I make the reservation. (Don't forget to mention slideouts). I think that makes them obligated to properly assign your space. The other replies have some excellent advice, especially using radios for those tight spots. As mentioned in another reply, older parks usually make for tighter turning and trees can be a problem. Do your research, read the reviews from more than one source. I always try to reserve a pull-through. It just makes it easier after a long drive. Those darn fifth wheels and motorhomes make it look easy, don't they? Happy camping!