Reviewing National Park Campsites For Rvs

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by endofrope, Jul 23, 2009.

1. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

I am wondering if we could have a section that is for National and State parks as relate to RV camping. I live in California, and I know for a fact that the information that is posted on the National Park websites is not always accurate for RV'ers. In other words, they will state that a site is 30' when in fact it can be much larger. And there is not really any way to know if the sites are on a hill or are level. We like to camp in the National Parks, and with my husband's senior pass, it is much more affordable, which is a big plus in this economy. But before we can book a site, we usually have to drive to the park to make sure our rig will actually fit, which isn't very helpful for National Parks outside of our immediate area. So I would like to post "reviews" about the sites that we have stayed in, like which ones are big rig friendly, which ones get satellite, are close to the water, hard to get to, etc. And I would like to read other posts. Would this be possible?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This site already accepts reviews for state and national parks. You can mention a specific site within a campground as long as the focus of the review is still the park overall.

3. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 23 2009, 12:39 PM) [snapback]17693[/snapback]

This site already accepts reviews for state and national parks. You are also welcome to mention a specific site within a campground as long as the focus of the review is still the park overall.

How do you find reviews of national parks or forest service campsites?

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(endofrope @ Jul 23 2009, 01:44 PM) [snapback]17697[/snapback]

How do you find reviews of national parks or forest service campsites?

I have observed on here that there will be a "SOMETHING OR OTHER NATIONAL FOREST" before the name of the campground. I think what you are wanting is a special icon to click on, kind of like, "show Canada" or "show Mexico." I don't know if they will do that on here. But I have observed titles saying "something National Forest" before the campsite name.

JJ

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

endofrope,

I'm sorry. I may not be understanding what you are wanting to do. When I read your first post I thought you wanted to be able to post reviews for state and national parks on this site.

If that is correct I say again that there are reviews for state and national parks (as well as other types of CG's--COE, National Forest, city municipal parks, etc.) on this site. To find these reviews (as you asked in your second post) you need to look under the state and then look in the "town" list for the name of the park or a city close by. For example Big Bend National Park is listed in the "town" list for Texas, but the Guadalupe Mountains National Park is listed under Pine Springs, TX. If you don't know of a nearby town then use the "Campground Search" feature (middle of the menu bar at the top of the page). Using it you can type in the name of the park and then leave the boxes checked for campground name, region name, and city name. That should get you a hit.

When I reread your post I realized you may be wanting to post and read information about specific sites within the campgrounds so that you will have an idea if they are suitable for your rig. For instance you may want information (length, utilities, shade, etc.) about site # 15 in the Chisos Basin Campground in Big Bend. Unfortunately you will probably not find that on this site. Most people do not mention the exact site they stay in, but some do. Usually they just mention the sites in overall general terms, such as "level sites", or "sites long enough for big rigs". While specific sites are not usually mentioned, there are no website rules against doing so as long as the overall campground is still the focus of the review.

There have been suggestions in the past to create categories of campgrounds. "Military only" comes to mind, but so far there has not been a great interest in doing that, although it could happen some day.

Did this help answer your questions? If not let me know and I'll give it another try.

6. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jul 23 2009, 05:21 PM) [snapback]17703[/snapback]

endofrope,

I'm sorry. I may not be understanding what you are wanting to do. When I read your first post I thought you wanted to be able to post reviews for state and national parks on this site.

If that is correct I say again that there are reviews for state and national parks (as well as other types of CG's--COE, National Forest, city municipal parks, etc.) on this site. To find these reviews (as you asked in your second post) you need to look under the state and then look in the "town" list for the name of the park or a city close by. For example Big Bend National Park is listed in the "town" list for Texas, but the Guadalupe Mountains National Park is listed under Pine Springs, TX. If you don't know of a nearby town then use the "Campground Search" feature (middle of the menu bar at the top of the page). Using it you can type in the name of the park and then leave the boxes checked for campground name, region name, and city name. That should get you a hit.
    When I reread your post I realized you may be wanting to post and read information about specific sites within the campgrounds so that you will have an idea if they are suitable for your rig. For instance you may want information (length, utilities, shade, etc.) about site # 15 in the Chisos Basin Campground in Big Bend. Unfortunately you will probably not find that on this site. Most people do not mention the exact site they stay in, but some do. Usually they just mention the sites in overall general terms, such as "level sites", or "sites long enough for big rigs". While specific sites are not usually mentioned, there are no website rules against doing so as long as the overall campground is still the focus of the review.

There have been suggestions in the past to create categories of campgrounds. "Military only" comes to mind, but so far there has not been a great interest in doing that, although it could happen some day.

Did this help answer your questions? If not let me know and I'll give it another try.

This does answer my question about how to find the National and Forest Service campgrounds. Thank you. And I understand that not everyone discusses their particular camp site. I do, because it is information that I can provide, that may be helpful to others. With regular rv parks, you can go to their website, or call them. But with the National Parks, it is not as easy to get park-specific information.

A little off of the subject, but my husband and I usually "tour" any campground we visit, and make a note of sites that we like, for future reference. We keep all of this information in a notebook in our motorhome. We usually use the little "maps" you get at checkin. Then if anyone else is planning a trip, we can photocopy the maps for them.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(endofrope @ Jul 24 2009, 02:14 PM) [snapback]17727[/snapback]

This does answer my question about how to find the National and Forest Service campgrounds. Thank you. And I understand that not everyone discusses their particular camp site. I do, because it is information that I can provide, that may be helpful to others. With regular rv parks, you can go to their website, or call them. But with the National Parks, it is not as easy to get park-specific information.

I'm glad I could help. And again it certainly doesn't hurt to mention good sties at a campground.

A little off of the subject, but my husband and I usually "tour" any campground we visit, and make a note of sites that we like, for future reference. We keep all of this information in a notebook in our motorhome. We usually use the little "maps" you get at checkin.

Wow, my kind of person. We sort of do the same thing, but not quite as good as you. Your system would really be a great help for return visits. I'll have to get my info organized like you. Thanks for the tip.

Then if anyone else is planning a trip, we can photocopy the maps for them.

What a nice thing to offer. I'm sure this could be very helpful to other campers.