Rockport/port Aransas Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jackie & Tony, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

We'll be leaving for Texas later this week and would like to visit the Rockport/Port Aransas area. We're looking for campground recommendations. Those that have visited this area, please help!

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Jackie, we went to Port Aransas last spring when we went to Corpus Christi and Padre Island. We didn't take the motorhome into that town though, just drove the toad over and did some shopping and walked around the town and docks, and ate at a great restaurant right on the water. We had to take a ferry over to Port Aransas on the way there, but went back a different way and didn't have to. I have no doubt that some of the guys (or gals) here can give you great advice about the RV parks around the town. I really hope that warm weather has returned there by the time you and Tony arrive. Have you ever taken Gucci to the beach? We took Bucky for the first time then, and he hated the roar of the ocean. He was just about Gucci's age then...

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Of the many parks listed for Port A we have only stayed at the Pioneer Beach Resort. Calling it a resort might be stretching it a bit, but it was very nice. I generally agree with the positive reviews that have been posted. There are no trees, but as one review said this the beach after all. The sites aren't huge, but they are not on top of each other either. It is not a long walk to the beach; the board walk is nice (I would hate to climb over the sand dunes without it.); there is only a little if any road noise (and we stayed right up front by the road one time); and it is not inconvenient to town. It is not located right in the middle of town, but you only have a short drive. Also we have driven by Gulf Waters which also looks nice, but we have never stayed there.

While you're in the area be sure to see the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus. The USS Lexington (Lady Lex) is also there. Hope this was helpful.

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

We went to the USS Lexington when we were in Corpus. I found it quite amazing, and of course, we had to hit all the souvenir shops there by it. Jackie, I think you and Tony might really enjoy seeing it, but don't be expecting anything like the ships you and I are used to!!!

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Jackie and Tony:

Probably one of the nicest parks in the Rockport/Aransas area is Lagoons RV Resort. You will definitely like it there. On the other hand, avoid Raintree RV Park. If they offer you free rent and free meals to stay there, choose Wal-Mart instead.

6. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Jan 16 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]5825[/snapback]

Jackie and Tony:

Probably one of the nicest parks in the Rockport/Aransas area is Lagoons RV Resort. You will definitely like it there. On the other hand, avoid Raintree RV Park. If they offer you free rent and free meals to stay there, choose Wal-Mart instead.

:eek: :blink:
    Thanks all for the wonderful tips - what would I do without you, hmmmm?

7. Ducroz

Ducroz
    Expand Collapse

we went to Port Aransas a couple of months ago and stayed at the Gulf Water RV Community. One of nicest parks yoou will find. This is truely the nicest park in that area. The web page is www.gulfrv.com

8. Jackie & Tony

Jackie & Tony
    Expand Collapse

For someone interested in fishing which would be better, Rockport or Port Aransas???

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry I can't help you on this as we don't fish. I can tell you that Aransas Pass and Rockport are on the mainland but sit right on the bay. Port Aransas is out on Mustang Island and has both bay and gulf access. I'm pretty sure Port A has fishing piers, and we have seen people surf fishing also. This is also a big area for charter fishing boats. But as far as what's better, I have no idea.

This is not related to your latest question, but while you're there try to see the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. The whooping cranes will be there this time of year.

PS Telling you about all this sure makes us want to go back there soon.

10. Seabird

Seabird
    Expand Collapse

Rockport is one our favorite destinations for the past 18 yrs. The fishing is fantastic...take one of the local guides to learn how to fish these waters. Every season has it's best fishing holes and ways of catching the big ones. Even tho' it is not on the water, we love the little park called RV Haven...run by a great lady named Gayner. It is right off of 35B actually at Fulton. You can walk down to the water (about 3 blocks) and the Fulton Harbor. Also there is a new park called the Drifters RV (?) that is out past Calm Harbor on B35,,,about 4 miles outside of town going south . There are some 17 or more RV parks in this area. Most are small but easily accessed. And Goose Isle State Park is lovely. The parks over in Port A are all sandy and most are windy this time of year. Rates are much less in the Rockport/Fulton area and there are lots of great restaurants and local seafood places. Going over to Port A on the ferry is always a treat. There is a cruise ship that takes folks out on a 4 hour gambling or sightseeing venture..with buffet food. There is lots to see and do. Have a great time whereever you stay!! :D

11. Carly

Carly
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver has his own opinion about Raintree RV Park but I don't agree with it. Each person gets from an RV park what he wants and we very much enjoyed Raintree. It is small and there is not much to do but the people are very friendly and helpful and it is quiet. We don't use the pool, tennis courts and all the other things that RV parks have to charge a large amount for and we surely are not impressed with large parks. Our site there had a very nice view of a pond and we spent enjoyable mornings watching the ducks while we had our coffee. Remember when reading a review of a park that what is a great park for you may be a boring or overdone park for someone else. I hate one of the parks we stayed in this winter but it is rated as one of the top RV resorts in the country. Too big and too regimented for my tastes. Everyone to their own.