Route & Parks from N. Wisconsin to Toronto

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by oldcarfun, Jul 8, 2005.

1. oldcarfun

oldcarfun
    Expand Collapse

We are planning our first big trip across the country in our 20' travel trailer. Just my newly retired husband, our poodle and I. I'm doing pretty good at planning but need advice on going from Northern Wisconsin to Toronto (to see family in both places.) What route would be best and can you recommend any particular campgrounds? We're not in a hurry but should try to make it in 4-5 days. Is that reasonable? BTW, my husband is a Ford guy so we may have to stop in motor city. Thanks for your help, Linda

2. wxjeff

wxjeff
    Expand Collapse

I vote North through Canada! Going south, and accommodating your husband via Detroit, will include perhaps Milwaukee, Chicago (Tri State Tollway ** UGH!! **) both the Indiana and Ohio Turnpikes... truck traffic, lots of other vehicles, probably not what you really want for your first time out.

The Trans Canada Highway from Sault Ste Marie and around the northern side of the lakes sounds a lot more idyllic to me and more in line with a casual trip. While I've never made that trip myself, I have spent more time than necessary on the dastardly I-294.)

Have fun, and take lots of pictures!

3. oldcarfun

oldcarfun
    Expand Collapse

wxjeff,
    I think you're right. I've since found out that there's a ferry from Manitoulin Island to Tobermory that will save quite a bit of time and be fun and scenic in the process. That's what we'll do rather than drive to Sudbury, Parry Sound and to Toronto. Thanks for your input.