Running From A Storm

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by John S., Aug 30, 2008.

1. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Well, here we sit in Texas and will be waiting for service on tuesday on the RV. SInce the reservations were fouled up at Ocean wave in NC I left and got a jump on the traffic and went to Texas. I was passing through Shreveport LA and they were setting up the evacuation area for New Orleans. The Flying J in Shreveport was out of gas mid grade and they were pretty empty too. They said they had been out of two grades earlier but the tanker had come in. Traffic was starting to get bad too. Oh well. I am sitting in the lot waiting for heavy rain but am inland far enough to not have high winds but big rains if it hits on track that it is on now. Who knows though. I heard that all the RV parks are reserved and that many are allowing dry camping too. I guess we will see how it turns out. I did see a guy in a pickup and trailer full of gas gensets on the way west on I 20..... He will make some money I think.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

John, the Nacogdoches plant is not a bad place to wait out the storm. You have 50 amps and water plus lots of free sites to pick from. Food in town is not to bad so you should be in a good place to hold up. Tell the Foretravel boys in shop hello and stay dry. :p

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I was hoping there weren't any RV's out in the Gustaf path...... Good luck JohnS!

JJ

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Two more Foretravels just pulled in here. THey were covered in lovebugs too. I had mine yesterday. I think we will be fine. I hope the electric stays on as it is humid but I have 200 gallons of diesel for the genny if need be though only 150 or so is usable. It is going to be wet no matter what happens but we will be fine here I am sure. THere are lots of people out trying to get north and I am sure getting out of here will be a bit harder than getting in especially if they start to run out of fuel in the stations.

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

John S, I hope you will be safe and sound.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

John S,

With 150 gals of go juice and 10,000 watts of genny power you could last for a month and have fuel left in tank. You would run out of food first. The storm is slowing down and that is bad, more time to build up wind speeds.

7. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Hi John, we will be fine here. The lot is more than half full if you can believe it. Lots of LA and TX residents coming in. We have all spent the day washing the love bugs off. They coat the front of the coaches and make it look black. I guess time will tell but we are inland so it is just heavy rain flooding and tornados we are worried about.

8. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Well, this time the storm pulled a bit further to the east than it was suppose to so we missed the bulk of the rain so far. It is raining now but not a torrent but they say it may still happen. Lost the electric last night for a bit but it came back on after a bit. I guess now we will have to fight Hanna on the way home....Oh goody I get to go through two of them....

9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

I'd tell you to wait until Hanna goes by, but then you'd have to wait on Ike and Josephine.

Stay safe - I may have to pull mine inland if Hanna goes where they say.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John S. @ Sep 2 2008, 09:38 AM) [snapback]13043[/snapback]

Well, this time the storm pulled a bit further to the east than it was suppose to so we missed the bulk of the rain so far. It is raining now but not a torrent but they say it may still happen. Lost the electric last night for a bit but it came back on after a bit. I guess now we will have to fight Hanna on the way home....Oh goody I get to go through two of them....

Wow! The only hurricane I ever experienced is Opal, in Alabama in the 90's. I was in Alabama on a business trip, but I was in the northern part. They let out work early, and I went to my hotel and all we got was the worst worst worst rain I had ever seen in my life.

Glad you are safe.

JJ

11. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

John S,

I guess we all are running away from some storm. Last night we were in Brunswick, GA at 3 feet over sea level. Park said everyone should get out. So we said thats we would run up to Charleston for couple nights. Weather people said storm will hit city and they may ask everyone to get out of town. We did a reroute and moved up to Columbia, SC. Now weather people said storm center will move to the east and miss Charleston. Barnyard RV Park is full of RV people running someplace. It is fun out here running around. All in all not bad, we have a good BBQ place to go eat dinner tonight.

12. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I hope it misses Charleston SC as we have a big Foretravel rally there in 20 days or so.

13. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John S. @ Sep 3 2008, 11:43 PM) [snapback]13063[/snapback]

I hope it misses Charleston SC as we have a big Foretravel rally there in 20 days or so.

I don't think it will hit us (we'll get some wind and rain, but that's all). Anytime they have it coming straight at us then move the track back to the east it always heads to Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach at southernmost. We haven't had a direct hit from a hurricane since Hugo in '89, though we've had several tropical storms come through.

14. Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe
    Expand Collapse

Pulled the Monty home last Monday. Topped off the water, took inventory and replenished dry and canned goods, checked the tires, and watched Hanna's movement. We were prepared to head East into mid-Georgia to avoid the storm. Monty is back at the storage facility now and ready to rock and roll in the event Ike and other storms force us have to boogie out of town.