Rv Campground Suggestion In Se

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Ana, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Ana

Ana
    Expand Collapse

I live in GA and I'm looking for campground suggestions anywhere within 10-12 hours from home. I'm going away with my husband... just the two of us and would like to stay at a real nice place. We are going to Clemson first to visit our daughter in school and then on to Asheville. Original thought was to go to the Ozarks but not dead set on that location. We're new to RVing and would love some help :)

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

When we were in Asheville we liked Campfire Lodgings. However, if you read the reviews on this site you will see that not everybody agrees with us. We had no trouble there; the services were just fine; the staff was pleasant; and the view was absolutely beautiful. As everyone mentions, the road up to the campground is narrow, steep, and windy, but we made it with no trouble.

If you want a really high end resort check out the Outdoor Resorts of America park in Lake Toxaway, NC. We have not stayed at this particular park, but the other Outdoor Resorts we have stayed at have been fantastic. Be aware that their parks are for class A motorhomes only. You didn't mention what kind of RV you have, but I decided to mention the park in case you do have a class A.

Another park we stayed at in the area was Creekwood Farms in Waynesville. Some reviewers had complaints and gave it a much lower rating than we did, but we had a very nice spot (backed up to the creek) and enjoyed our stay. There were some more parks in this area that looked nice, too.

This is a beautiful area. I'm sure you will find a great place to stay.

3. Ana

Ana
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your reply. I made reservations at Campfire Lodgings. The reviews sounded really good except for maybe one. I have never been to Asheville and I'm dying to go. We want to stay somewhere near Gatlinburg as well for a few days. I'm looking into that this evening. Any suggestions in that area would be great. We do have a class A motorhome. I will look into the resort in Toxaway, NC. It may be too close to Asheville though.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

You have a ton of State Parks IN GA that are very nice. Cost less to travel to them.

We also spent time at Outdoor Resorts of America park in Lake Toxaway. Great place to be. Not a lot around this part of NC. Need to stock up your food, wine, beer, anything you like before you come here. The hills and mountains were great to see as well. Only bad part is Hwy 64 . If you come in from the east you will have about 6 miles of tough travel, up and down, round and round roads. Do NOT think about coming in from WEST on 64. In your case Hwy 281 in NC comes out 1/2 mile from resort. This will change in SC to Hwy 130. This road has some pull to it but large class A's with diesel engines will do it. Road grades are very high.

Campfire Lodging is also a great place with out of this world views. You will like it. In Asheville check out the Biltmore Estate. You will find a great place to eat at night on Hwy 191 close to town. You are looking down on Biltmore Estate grounds. Place downtown was great to eat in morning. Ask the locals how to find them and enjoy!

5. gholman52

gholman52
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Apr 1 2009, 11:23 PM) [snapback]15696[/snapback]

You have a ton of State Parks IN GA that are very nice. Cost less to travel to them.

We also spent time at Outdoor Resorts of America park in Lake Toxaway. Great place to be. Not a lot around this part of NC. Need to stock up your food, wine, beer, anything you like before you come here. The hills and mountains were great to see as well. Only bad part is Hwy 64 . If you come in from the east you will have about 6 miles of tough travel, up and down, round and round roads. Do NOT think about coming in from WEST on 64. In your case Hwy 281 in NC comes out 1/2 mile from resort. This will change in SC to Hwy 130. This road has some pull to it but large class A's with diesel engines will do it. Road grades are very high.

Campfire Lodging is also a great place with out of this world views. You will like it. In Asheville check out the Biltmore Estate. You will find a great place to eat at night on Hwy 191 close to town. You are looking down on Biltmore Estate grounds. Place downtown was great to eat in morning. Ask the locals how to find them and enjoy!