RV campgrounds with horseback riding

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by janecel, Oct 12, 2004.

1. janecel

janecel
    Expand Collapse

We just puchased a travel trailer after a summer of tent and cabin camping. We have 3 small children, the oldest and youngest of which are budding equestrians. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that offer onsite horseback riding as one of its activities? We are primarily interested in PA, NJ or DEL but will also consider something further afield.

Thanks

2. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Artillery Ridge Campground is a National Riding stables for Gettysburg. They have horse rides of the park or you can bring your own.

John S.
    1999 Foretravel

3. seabirdrv

seabirdrv
    Expand Collapse

Hello Janecel,

Our RV park does not actually offer you horse back riding but we do have it available near our park and know the owners very well. I know you mentioned mostly eastern U.S. areas but I just wanted to let you know that the west has some wonderful riding experiences here.

We are located on the southwest coast of Oregon some of the most beautiful coastal regions of the northwest. Hawk's Rest Ranch offers guided group rides through coastal dunes and beaches. Coastal mountain forest rides are also available. You can also get personal private rides through the Flying W Ranch in near by Pistol River Oregon. Both Ranches are listed in the local yellow pages and are within a 15 minute drive to our park.

Please feel free to visit our web site for more information

Sheila Sparlin
    Owner - Sea Bird RV Park, Brookings OR

4. SuzyCentri

SuzyCentri
    Expand Collapse

I'm afraid I have no experience in that part of the country. However, we have traveled the midwest. We, too, have a travel trailer and 3 children (now teenagers).

I can tell you that there is a place in Nebraska, Eugene T Mooney State Park, that has a stable and daily horserides, as well as horse tack lessons. They also have a water park ON SITE, fishing ponds, paddle boats, a facility with a climbing wall, tunnels and balls (the kind little kids love--and it wears them out), crafts daily, a theater with audience participation (we went to 2 different ones in the week we were there). There is a lot I haven't mentioned, that I'm sure my kids would remind me of. They have a ice cream place. It's midway between Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska. We could have easily stayed 2 weeks, with all there is to do in Omaha (30 minutes away) and Lincoln (30 minutes away), as well as Council Bluffs, which is just over the state line. There's a drive through animal park there, too.

There is also a place in the south part of Missouri, but the drive there is too hard on a person's stomach. :blink:

Other than those, most campgrounds we've been to have horses at neighboring farms, for use most any time.

5. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

Two places come to mind right away. One is Smokey Mountains Nat'l Park, they have horse riding up in the Cades Cove area, beautiful area. The second is Pokagon State Park just outside of Angola Indiana, just off I-69, another beautiful area. These areas have ample camping facilities very close by. They are kid friendly.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Janecel,

Couple places come to mind, per John S. Artillery Ridge Campground in PA, campground is not to good. One more at Rafter J Bar Camping Resort at Hill City, SD. This campground is also not to good to me. Other places in wild west but I can not remember what states they were in.