Rv Crankup Antennae

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by gsbogart, May 24, 2007.

1. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

I have a crankup winegard antennae on my coach. It lays on the roof while traveling. Lately, I have noticed a lot of noise as though the wind is lifting and allowing the head of the system to vibrate up and down, and I am afraid of damage to the roof of the coach.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

GSbogart

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We found the same problem and fixed it. I added a small block of foam rubber to each end of the ant. wings (use some glue). We would hear this sound at times and then it would go away over time only to return. Also look at tip ends and see if each end has the same gap (space from ant. wing tip to top of motorhome). Sometime one end will be higher-up that the other. This foam trick will fix it. ;)

3. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 24 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]7128[/snapback]

We found the same problem and fixed it. I added a small block of foam rubber to each end of the ant. wings (use some glue). We would hear this sound at times and then it would go away over time only to return. Also look at tip ends and see if each end has the same gap (space from ant. wing tip to top of motorhome). Sometime one end will be higher-up that the other. This foam trick will fix it. ;)

I believe I have found the source of the noise.

My antennae is supported on each end of the wing by two rubber pads cemented to the roof. This allows the body of the antennae to be slightly suspended so that it can bounce up and down on the roof during travel. One of the pads was touching the arm that supports the antennae head. I cut part of that pad away so the arm is not any longer touching and this should allow the antennae cranking mechanism to have a little more downward force to hopefully hold the antennae body against the roof.
    During our next trip, I will be able to check this theory out.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I put a couple of strips of weatherstripping underneath the antenna on the roof. NO more rattle.

5. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

I've found that the Wineguard antenna make a very good tree trimming device!

6. JohnDoe

JohnDoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gsbogart @ May 24 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]7126[/snapback]

I have a crankup winegard antennae on my coach. It lays on the roof while traveling. Lately, I have noticed a lot of noise as though the wind is lifting and allowing the head of the system to vibrate up and down, and I am afraid of damage to the roof of the coach.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

GSbogart

Mine was banging so I bent the blades up just a tad and that took care of it, they bend very easy and I raised them just small amount, Good luck/