RV Oops...

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by TheHabu, Jun 27, 2005.

1. TheHabu

TheHabu
    Expand Collapse

:huh: Has anyone else done this? My wife and I have purchased the wrong RV type. It was just for the two of us - no one else. I decided that a Truck Camper (Palomino) would be more to our "liking." As it turns out... both my wife and I are claustrophobic and the TC is just too small and confining for tastes. Crap. Now I gotta sell it and buy something a little more spacious. I'm looking at a 16' Shadow Cruiser. Oh well... live and learn. :blink:

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I can't relate. We just purchased a 38' 5th wheel with 3 slides last November.

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

We didn't purchase the wrong type but do wish we had rented an rv before we bought. We went to several RV shows and then went to the dealer and bought one without ever having driven one. Ours is 37 ft. with a slideout in the main coach area but now after doing some travelling in it, we realize that we want a diesel, probably 40 ft. with a bedroom slideout also. Our rig has a queen sized bed and we have a king at home, so our next one will have a king too - hubby has a habit of sleeping in the middle. We have a wish list of things that we wish we had gotten in this one and will definitely have to have in the next, which may be sooner than we originally planned.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

You'll love the bedroom slide. Our last one didn't have one because I didn't really see the need. I soon regretted that decision. It makes such a difference, especially when trying to get dressed.

5. Ohio-jayco-popup

Ohio-jayco-popup
    Expand Collapse

Yeh we can relate. We purchased a used PU in March and we liked it. Then we started LOOKING at Hybrids. Well the PU only lasted 3 months because we bought a new 19ft Keystone Zeppelin Hybrid. We liked the open air leeling of the PU but realized that we wanted a bathroom. Just keep looking and you will find the right one. :D

Now we have to sell the PU. I'm just glad we bought a used PU and we're not making payments on it. ;) I guess I should change my nic now B)

6. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl - I know when we do upgrade to bedroom slide-outs, it will make all the difference. We went to an RV show a few months ago and went in some with the bedroom slides and I wanted to buy one right then. Ours has a bathtub, albeit a small one, it is still a tub, and I just don't like showers so we also have to have a tub. So now we need bedroom slides, king sized bed and a tub - I can hear the price going up - cha ching!!!

7. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

The slides, tub, and king bed aren't going to affect the price as much as getting a deisel pusher will. You are looking at approx. double the price of the exact same unit with gas. But, on the plus side, you can put a heck of a lot more miles on the deisel.

8. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl: As you often remind readers of this site, PLEASE use spell check. Diesel is spelled DIE not DEI. Thanks. :p

9. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I have never reminded anyone to use spell check. When the site owners asked for suggestions, I asked if they could include spell check - for my sake as well as anyone else who needs it. Since they haven't - I can't use it. I am not the best typist. I look at the keys and a lot of the time my fingers are faster than my eyes. I certainly wouldn't deliberately criticize someone when I don't claim to be perfect myself.

10. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl:

I agree that spell check would be nice. We have too many folks who don't take the time to check the dictionary and mispell words. :)

11. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

As long as I can easily read what they post (please no abbreviated slang) I don't mind the misspelling. Like I said above, I wanted the spell check for myself. With my typing, I don't want anyone to have trouble reading my posts.

12. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

Hey,
    Looks like there is now a spell check! The button is under the message box where you type in stuff. :)

13. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Cool, I never noticed. I wonder how long it has been there. Now I don't have to worry about my typos. :D

14. RVER

RVER
    Expand Collapse

HABU do not buy too small. I have done this for a while and have a 34 ft Winnebago Adventurer for sale because we bought a 34 ft fifthwheel and ideally I think 31 ft would have been ideal.
    From what I can tell you like it smaller than we do but I think 16ft is still too small but it is going to depend on the truck you are using to pull the baby. I saw a trailer that looked small from the out side but then when inside you can actually slide the bedroom out toward the back(instead of the normal bedroom slide that goes out the side). It had storage and room to move around. The sewer attachments were funky though, way under the rig so you are almost laying on the ground to hoook up the sewer hose which is NOT good.
    Full shower and toilet area are necessay if you ask me, a place to sit and read a magazine or book is important so really try to picture living in it.

15. bam66

bam66
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I'm new AND new to rv'ing. We are fulltiming it as of July 4 of this year.

We purchased a 26' class C motorhome. It has an overhead bed.

I've never been claustrophobic but I am now it seems.

Every few days, and sometimes a few times a night, I wake up short of breath like waking up from a nightmare. I didn't know what it was until a neighbor told me the same thing happens to her and they have a bed in the back that has PLENTY of head room.

She suggested opening a window. Sometimes just feeling air over your face helps.

I have to stick my head out of the curtain into the roomy area of the RV, take a few breaths and then I can go back to sleep.

I never even thought I'd have a problem like this. We are definitely going to check out larger bedrooms in the next rv we buy.

bam66

16. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

bam66, that must be an awful feeling. Can you leave the curtain into the main area open at night or do others travel with you? I have never met anyone who went right into full-time rv'ing - I hope you can adjust to the claustrophobia that you are experiencing or else you might not enjoy it at all. We have been rv'ing for about a year now but don't think we will ever be full-timers. I am looking forward to the time when we can go for as long as we want though. The longest we have been gone thusfar is 9 days - I don't think I could go any longer without my grandson fix. When that 3 yr. old sweetheart wraps his arms around my neck and says "I love you grandma - you're my fravorite" (no that isn't a typo) my heart melts.

17. TheHabu

TheHabu
    Expand Collapse

Bam66 - I know exactly how you feel. I never in a million years would have thought I was claustrophobic. After it occurred... I didn't tell my wife until she told me about her experience with it. Selfish I guess. Men don't admit such as this. My anxiety almost became a pure fit... I had to calm myself and control my breathing until I went back to sleep. Now one of us sleeps in the bed and the other sleeps in the dining area. So far - no more problems. I'm still looking to sell and purchase something just a bit larger... probably a TT. :huh:

18. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We are another couple that is looking to purchase an RV slight bigger than ther 23' B+ that we currently have. We love the small unit for everything except the sleeping arrangement! My husband crashes very early and I'm a night owl! We drove this unit to Alaska and back in 2004 (0ver 9000 miles) and averaged about 12 mpg! Hubby would like a bigger bathroom and perhaps one slide, so we'll see. We do know that for the 2 of us and 1 10 yr grandson the 23' is tight! We're thinking about 29'-30' or so.

We've had 2 pickup campers (with 2 small boys), an 18' foot tent travel, and even tented for 3 weeks in Colorado (we were younger then). So the rigs of today are certainly a step up from those days! We just want something that we could be comfortable in for 2-3 months duration! I understand the feeling of being closed in, so the 'over the cab' bed is out for us--we like that area for storage instead.

19. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Habu, Most of us have gone through something similar. Its hard to know what we want or need till we are into it for awhile, Needs also change as travel through life. That's what keeps it from being boring.

Oh come on. This is like email, not a formal letter, an exchange of ideas between friends.. It is exactly that type of criticism that keeps folks from posting. If it is close enough to know what is meant I find it in poor taste to correct it. Beastdriver lighten up a little. Use a dictionary for this, you must be kidding.

20. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ben:

I am not suggesting anyone use a dictionary, but they simply hit the spell check button on this site. It's not really difficult, and you might want to try it!