Rv Park Prices

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Apr 11, 2009.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

When you send in a review, do you include the taxes (if any) or just the base rate? I usually use the base rate (and I specify so in my review). If I got a Good Sam rate, I show the Good Sam rate WITHOUT taxes and I specify in my review. However, I'm sure putting the rate WITH the taxes is a much better indicator of the true cost for other people to see.

I don't know why I do it WITHOUT taxes, I just do. But I can tell some people do the entire cost with the taxes, whether it's Good Sam, PPA, or whatever.

JJ

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I usually put down what I actually paid so that includes both taxes, and discounts, and any extras like cable TV or Wi-Fi. If Wi-Fi isn't a daily rate (for example $5 a week) I don't include it in the site cost, but I mention it in my review.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We do the same as TX in all cases.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I think I need to start including the taxes in my reviews.

JJ

5. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

My 2 cents worth is that I think the the posted cost should be the rate before taxes. The reason, if people are using this site as well as other resources (trailer life, woodall's etc) those other resources list the cost before taxes. Prices before taxes will make the rvparkreviews site a direct comparison resource to the others. I do not know of any advertising that includes taxes, be it autos, McDonalds, Walmart etc. When you visit the internet pages of campgrounds they all list their prices before taxes, I just think we are all used to seeing prices before taxes and if we start putting the rate including taxes in the reviews, all our other comparisons and guides will not be "apples to apples"

6. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Never thought about including taxes in the rates. I guess I am with previous poster, since most published rates are without taxes, to keep things equal I would put the pre-tax rate. Having said that... I usually include an explanation of the rate I paid - off season, special multi-night rate, group rate, etc.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I can see the argument for not including taxes. I just never thought about it because frankly I only consider the prices listed with reviews as "ballpark" prices. There are numerous things that affect the cost of your stay--the type of unit you camp in (tent or RV); the utilities you get; cable TV; Wi-Fi; big rig or super site; number of people; pet charge; weekly discount; time of year, etc. etc.; and taxes. Because of that I never expect to pay exactly what others have listed; it could be a few dollars less or more. Several times I have seen a good rate only to then notice that the person camped in a tent. So if I am in my RV that does not give me the exact amount that I will have to pay at that park with or without taxes.

As for listing the "base rate," I think it would be great. But what is that? A base rate at one park may not include the same amenities as the base rate of another park. For example one base rate may be only for water and electric where as at the park next door the base rate includes E/W/S and cable TV and Wi-Fi. Unless you know this the first park may look like a huge bargain until you have to pay extra to get all the amenities that are in the second park's base rate.

I guess all I'm saying is that the cost listed in a review can only be a general guide for you to decide if the park is in your price range. If you need a precise rate, then call the park.

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Westernrvparkowner,

My job happens to be that of a piano tuner. I quote my rates with taxes always to keep the "bargain hunters" away. If an institution asks me for a discount I send them a nice email asking what non monetary rewards they might offer me for such a reduction. So far, none of them have even offered me such a rewards--so they get to pay my full retail rates.

QUOTE(westernrvparkowner @ Apr 12 2009, 10:29 AM) [snapback]15848[/snapback]

My 2 cents worth is that I think the the posted cost should be the rate before taxes. The reason, if people are using this site as well as other resources (trailer life, woodall's etc) those other resources list the cost before taxes. Prices before taxes will make the rvparkreviews site a direct comparison resource to the others. I do not know of any advertising that includes taxes, be it autos, McDonalds, Walmart etc. When you visit the internet pages of campgrounds they all list their prices before taxes, I just think we are all used to seeing prices before taxes and if we start putting the rate including taxes in the reviews, all our other comparisons and guides will not be "apples to apples"

9. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

I always quote the full amount that I paid. If my price included a significant discount (Passport America 50% rate, for example) or was based on a weekly or monthly rate, I note that in my review.

I think the price quoted in the reviews should be as close as possible as the amount I need to hand over to stay at a park.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We usually quote the stated rate and find that frequently this includes the tax. If they say $20 for a site, then lots of times the price is $20 and sometimes it is $20 plus tax say $1.20. Doesn’t other me one way or the other. I think we are all used to paying taxes and expect it to be added on. To me, I am comparing the $20 against the guy down the street who may be charging $46. Don’t sweat the small stuff as they say.