Rv Parks Near Duke University--update

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Texasrvers, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Back in March I asked if anyone knew of a good RV park near Duke University and in particular if they knew anything about Spring Hill Park. I got several replies with some really good suggestions, and I appreciate your help. Now I just wanted to let you know that we took a chance on Spring Hill Park and were very pleased. I have posted a review under Chapel Hill, North Carolina if you are interested. And thanks again for all your help. What a great group you are!

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Texas,

Happy to see the campground was OK. I did not think any good ones were close to Duke. I need to stop by and see the place sometime and tour Durham and Chapel Hill at same time. Your write up was very good. See, good things do happen.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

John Blue,

I remember you were the one from my first post who said we should probably try the Spring Hill Park. You were right. It is not a big fancy resort, but it was clean and attractive and had everything we needed to be comfortable. I think you would like it, too. If you do go to that area try the Top of the Hill Restaurant in Chapel Hill. It was great, but a little pricy. If it isn't too hot try to sit outside on the balcony. It overlooks one of the main streets. We were there on graduation weekend (both Duke and the Univ. of North Carolina) so there were lots of interesting characters to watch down below. The gardens at Duke are also worth a visit. There are a few other attractions, but that is all we had time for. Happy travels.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Texas,

Happy to see you had a great time in town. I worked in Chapel Hill back in 1958 and 1964 to replace the telephone system for state of North Carolina. The old system went back to the stone age of cord boards and hello Miss Brown what number do you wish to call.

Gardens of Duke was nice long time ago. The interesting characters in Chapel Hill is a understatement. We would laugh to the point the ribs would hurt over the collage kids in town. It was like a small Las Vegas town at times. We found number of places to drink some beer and talk to collage kids. The local cops had a full time job to keep the town under control. The list of things kids did wrong went on and on. The city is a very nice place to live in.

Happy travels.