Rv Parks Near The Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by bgdogrov, May 27, 2008.

1. bgdogrov

bgdogrov
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    I plan on camping for a week sometime this summer in my travel trailer near the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.
    Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg offer a variety of various campgrounds in the immediate vicinity.
    Any thoughts or insight about where to stay would be appreciated.

Thank You

2. Finder9

Finder9
    Expand Collapse

Have stayed at River Plantattion RV Park on 2 occasions. Very nice.

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

I stayed in a federal CG years ago, so any info I have wouldn't be up to date. Just wanted to let you know, no dogs are allowed on trails anywhere in the Great Smokies National Park (thought you might have one by your name).

4. daswpb

daswpb
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at River Plantation several times. It is a very nice park and the best value for the money we have found.

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

RIver Plantation is nice as is Smokey Bear campground. Smokey bear is much smaller but very nice. You can not go wrong at either one of these.

6. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Creekside was a nice park for us during our stay a couple of years ago. far enough away yet close enough when needed. Also the trolley would come thru the park. It is also a Good Sams member if you use GS. Enjoy your trip. Brian

7. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(bigdogrov @ May 27 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]11600[/snapback]

Hello,
    I plan on camping for a week sometime this summer in my travel trailer near the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.
    Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg offer a variety of various campgrounds in the immediate vicinity.
    Any thoughts or insight about where to stay would be appreciated.

Thank You

I have two favorites, River Plantation and Claybough's.

Depending on the events going on in PF, depends on where I stay.

During some "rod week", I stay at River Plantation because it is far enough out of the way to be easy in/easy out. When things are quiet, I like Claybough's, it is closer to town on Wear Valley Rd.

8. judge c crater

judge c crater
    Expand Collapse

"...no dogs are allowed on trails anywhere in the Great Smokies National Park..." although we just returned from there and saw half a dozen lapdogs (mostly being carried) on the Laurel Falls Trail. Don't feed the bears, folks! And we saw a mother bear and her three cubs on the way back from the falls.

9. okiebug

okiebug
    Expand Collapse

didnt want to hijack this thread so I decided to start a new post

10. kf4ygj

kf4ygj
    Expand Collapse

I suggest two parks. Cazyhorse campground or Adventure bound campground as it is now called. If you have children they will enjoy the 500 foot water slide that is only $9.00 a day for the entire family. We have just returned from there today. The only negative that I saw was the rest rooms need a little attention.

The other park is located in Pegion Forge. Riveredge campground. It is a small campground that has the best kept bath rooms I have seen yet. This campground is located as you leave PF going toward Gatlinburg.

Crazyhorse is located 12 miles up 321 outside of Gatlinburg.

11. 1badsilverado

1badsilverado
    Expand Collapse

I stayed at River Plantation in July. It was very nice, cause I could bring my golf cart with me. We loved the area. Wish we could of stayed longer. We were there for 6 days.

12. ftcjim

ftcjim
    Expand Collapse

Got to agree with kf4ygj. I have been in the Smoky Mts many times and have stayed in allot of CG. All the ones mentioned are good. They are all in somewhat of a "Downtown Area"
    Crazyhorse is in a wooded area away from the town atmosphere. They have allot of things for kids and will let you have campfires. Whats camping without a campfire. The last 8 times I have been there I stayed at Crazy Horse now known as Adventure Bound

Jim

13. CDB

CDB
    Expand Collapse

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far and with so many campgrounds in the area it is tough to comment any further. I will say though that we have always stayed in Townsend, which is about a 30 - 45 minute scenic drive away. You have a selection of campgrounds over there as well.

Next time we plan to stay in the National Park at Cades Cove. No hookups there though, if you insist on having them.

Christopher