Rv Parks With "instant" Phone Hookups

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Nov 26, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I recently stayed at one of my favorite parks, it has "instant" phone hookups. Only $1 a day. Worth it to me, as I have a "cheapie" cell phone plan, not a lot of minutes, don't want to use them up. Plus, I still keep a "dial up" internet account in case the WiFi doesn't work, and the phone connection is a "backup."

What I wanted to know is.... normally when one "checks out" of an RV park, you just "leave." You don't stop by and "settle up" like you do in a hotel. So.... I was wondering..... how do the people in the RV office know to shut off the phone connection after you leave? If you leave it on, then someone could sneak in and make a phone call by hooking a phone up to the pole. So, in the case of phone hookups, should I stop by the office and let them know I'm leaving so they know to turn it off?

I'm staying at another place right now that has it, but it's connected to a hotel so you have to "dial 9" first. And you can't dial my RV directly like you could at the park I was at yesterday. In this case, I don't think they ever shut them off.

JJ

2. dancyn

dancyn
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

As soon as you left, we unplugged the phone at the office. We know who has phones paid for, so when those sites are vacated, we pull the plug on that line.

Almost everyone has cell phones these days, so I would think the dial-up at the site will be a rarity in new parks. Right now it is costing $1375/month to provide phone lines to 225 sites, and less than 10 sites are hooked up to the system. Not a good investment! And we are looking to change this in the very near future.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dancyn @ Nov 27 2008, 01:16 AM) [snapback]14154[/snapback]

JJ,

Almost everyone has cell phones these days, so I would think the dial-up at the site will be a rarity in new parks. Right now it is costing $1375/month to provide phone lines to 225 sites, and less than 10 sites are hooked up to the system. Not a good investment! And we are looking to change this in the very near future.

Yes, I can understand that! I still keep toying with whether or not to keep my "dial up" service. I know of two other parks in Oregon that have the "instant" phone connections. One of these days I may have to change my cell contract, but for now, I'll just wait and see....

JJ

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I've been a staunch "dial up" defender for a long long time. However, now that I have my cell modem I will allow my dial up isp to lapse. It will be a sad day in a way. I'll be removing the 200 feet of telephone cable I've been carrying in the RV--and replace it with something else.

The cell modem is way too convenient--and in my case has unlimited data for a flat rate. I'll still have a "problem" with internet access when traveling in USA, as the cell modem goes to $3.00 per meg once I cross the border.