Rv Parks

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rvhelp, Jan 8, 2012.

1. rvhelp

rvhelp
    Expand Collapse

Travelling to Savannah in March. New to RV ing. Any help or advice gratefully reveived!

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi Rvhelp,

A little more information might be helpful to those who wish to help you:

Where are you coming from? (I noticed your listing shows that you are from Europe. Does this mean you are flying to the US and are renting an RV upon arrival?)

What kind of RV will you be in?

How long will you be staying in Savannah?

Is Savannah the only stop/destination on your trip?.

What sort of RV accommodations do you want? This includes basic (just a place to park the RV), full hookups (electric, water, and sewer), a full fledged resort (hookups, WIFI, a poo and othe recreational facilities, cable TV, and so on), etc . and all sorts of variations on the types of accommodations an RV park can have.

Are there children involved or is it just adults on this trip?

Any additional information you can give may help.

3. rvhelp

rvhelp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 8 2012, 08:05 PM) [snapback]28571[/snapback]

Hi Rvhelp,

A little more information might be helpful to those who wish to help you:

Where are you coming from? (I noticed your listing shows that you are from Europe. Does this mean you are flying to the US and are renting an RV upon arrival?)

What kind of RV will you be in?

How long will you be staying in Savannah?

Is Savannah the only stop/destination on your trip?.

What sort of RV accommodations do you want? This includes basic (just a place to park the RV), full hookups (electric, water, and sewer), a full fledged resort (hookups, WIFI, a poo and othe recreational facilities, cable TV, and so on), etc . and all sorts of variations on the types of accommodations an RV park can have.

Are there children involved or is it just adults on this trip?

Any additional information you can give may help.

4. rvhelp

rvhelp
    Expand Collapse

Hello Jerry S.
    Thank you for your reply. We will be travelling from Florida to Savannah to New Orleans in a 20' RV

We are a couple in our early 50's looking for somewhere clean and safe close to River Street for at least 3 days.

Before Savannah, we will overnight at least once en-route from Florida.

We will firm up our travel plans tomorrow.

Also I am not sure what facilities we will have in the R.V. until tomorrow.

Thank you.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We use Skidaway Island State Park south of downtown. Park is very nice with water, 30 amp power on all sites and 50 amp on a good number of sites. Trees cover the hold park, free Wi-Fi at check in office, and a noise free park. You are around 5 miles south of Savannah. You drive out of park on Spur 204 a short drive and pick up a four lane overhead road all the way to downtown, no stopping. Takes less than 20 minutes and you are at Riverfront. Lots to see and do here. We use this park all the time. Enjoy!

6. rvhelp

rvhelp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jan 8 2012, 09:24 PM) [snapback]28574[/snapback]

We use Skidaway Island State Park south of downtown. Park is very nice with water, 30 amp power on all sites and 50 amp on a good number of sites. Trees cover the hold park, free Wi-Fi at check in office, and a noise free park. You are around 5 miles south of Savannah. You drive out of park on Spur 204 a short drive and pick up a four lane overhead road all the way to downtown, no stopping. Takes less than 20 minutes and you are at Riverfront. Lots to see and do here. We use this park all the time. Enjoy!

Thank you John Blue.I will check that one out. I looked at Biltmore but it got some terrible reviews. Redgate Camping Ground got some mixed reviews.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We would not stay at the two other places. I forgot on GA State Parks you need a park pass. We buy a year pass but you can get one for less money if you only plan to stay a couple days. Also in this park you pick any site that is open and set up. If the park has less people then you drive around and find the one you like. Bath houses at each end of the campground if you need one. Office staff will mark site map with the larger 50 amp sites if you ask. You also have a nice Kroger supermarket in a couple miles of park. Under Google earth put in 31.951641 -81.050181 that is the center of park. You can see the trees block out most of the park but a couple RV's do show up.

8. rvhelp

rvhelp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jan 9 2012, 09:18 AM) [snapback]28577[/snapback]

We would not stay at the two other places. I forgot on GA State Parks you need a park pass. We buy a year pass but you can get one for less money if you only plan to stay a couple days. Also in this park you pick any site that is open and set up. If the park has less people then you drive around and find the one you like. Bath houses at each end of the campground if you need one. Office staff will mark site map with the larger 50 amp sites if you ask. You also have a nice Kroger supermarket in a couple miles of park. Under Google earth put in 31.951641 -81.050181 that is the center of park. You can see the trees block out most of the park but a couple RV's do show up.

Thank you John,

I am going to book Skidway.

9. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We were there several years ago and stayed at Fort McAllister State park in Richmond Hill. Very nice park but a bit of a drive to Savanna.

10. Redlinez

Redlinez
    Expand Collapse

Of the parks there, a friend of mine in his 60's liked Redgate. Everything is subject to opinion, keep that in mind.

11. rvhelp

rvhelp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Jan 13 2012, 11:41 AM) [snapback]28597[/snapback]

We were there several years ago and stayed at Fort McAllister State park in Richmond Hill. Very nice park but a bit of a drive to Savanna.

Thank you, I have booked Skidaway for three days but we will be looking for other Parks after that. I will keep Fort McAllister in mind.

QUOTE(Redlinez @ Feb 6 2012, 10:56 AM) [snapback]28726[/snapback]

Of the parks there, a friend of mine in his 60's liked Redgate. Everything is subject to opinion, keep that in mind.

Thank you Redlinez. Before I looked for help on here, I emailed Redgate but I got no reply.
    Also, I called Biltmore in December and a rude lady barked "you can book in January"

I called Skidaway, spoke to a very helpful lady and booked online.