Rv Tires And Valve Extenders

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Jun 10, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

If you get a Class A or Class C, you will have dual wheels in the rear. This causes the issue of....... "um...... how do I put air in the inside tires????"

The answer is.... VALVE EXTENDERS.

However, the dealers won't put them on correctly. The dealers just take your hubcaps off, screw them in, put the hubcaps back on, WHAM BAM that's it. Well, you could do that yourself! But.... there is one problem to that. You put them on that way, well, they flop around while you are driving, and they eventually start leaking.

You need to have the extenders anchored to your hubcaps.

So far, over here in the West, Les Schwab Tire Center is the only ones who will do it that way. However, Les Schwab won't achor extenders put on somewhere else. They will only anchor their own. Les Schwab's tend to be in smaller towns.

On my second RV, I had extenders put on by the dealer. They started leaking. I had one set go bad (driver's side). I went to a Les Schwab, they put new ones on and anchored them down. Then, the passenger side went bad. I was out of town, found a Les Schwab, and they put new ones on and anchored them.

Ok, my current RV came with extenders already on. I just went to Les Schwab and got them replaced anyway. I didn't want to be travelling and have one go bad and have to hunt down a Les Shwab then.

So, if you get a new or used RV and you are in the West, even if they come with extenders, just go to Les Schwab and get the whole thing replaced and done right.

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

I do not understand the problems with valve extenders. My self and everyone we know use them and I have never had a problem to date or has anyone we have talked to over our years on the road. NO leaking or problems due to them.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 10 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]11795[/snapback]

JJ,

I do not understand the problems with valve extenders. My self and everyone we know use them and I have never had a problem to date or has anyone we have talked to over our years on the road. NO leaking or problems due to them.

Yours are probably anchored correctly. On my second RV, they started leaking because they weren't "anchored." They just flop around and bang against the hubcaps, and eventually start leaking. That happend to me when I went to California last year.

What section of the country are you in? People I have talked to in the West indicate that valve extenders usually are problems.

JJ

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

First off look at bottom of my post and you will see my Name and Brandon FL. That is the town we live in.

Now the hard part. Large MH's (22.5" rims) use steel valve extenders that screw on to the inside steel valve stems. No tie down or anchor points. I think you have rubber valve stems and run 70 psi or less in air pressure. We run 110 to 115 psi and this would blow out rubber stems.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 12 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]11814[/snapback]

JJ,

First off look at bottom of my post and you will see my Name and Brandon FL. That is the town we live in.

Well DUH!!!! :blink: :huh: I guess that was a stupid question...... Silly me! But some people choose not to list their location. I guess I should have looked before I asked....... DUH!!!! :lol: :lol:

Now the hard part. Large MH's (22.5" rims) use steel valve extenders that screw on to the inside steel valve stems. No tie down or anchor points. I think you have rubber valve stems and run 70 psi or less in air pressure. We run 110 to 115 psi and this would blow out rubber stems.

My tires are 80 psi. The ones I had on my last RV were the screw in type, (they looked like a silver braided "ropey thing...") but they would still flop around while I was driving, and thus come loose. On my second RV, I replaced the darn things three times! First two times the dealer replaced them. First time was warranty, second time was my cost. Third time, Les Schwab (sometimes I get mixed up and call them "Charles Schwab" and boy is that a mix up! Not even close!) replaced them. Les Schwab put "anchors" on the hubcaps and I had no problems after that! My current RV came with valve extenders, but they were in a "flop around" position, just like my last RV. I decided to just have Les Schwab do it right. The ones Les Schwab sells, I believe are steel valve extenders. Well, let's just say, it's a very very tightly braided "ropey" kind of thing. And they are anchored.

I'm wondering if maybe these thingies are more of a problem on Class C's than on Class A's.....

My first RV had valve extenders, too, and I remember having one problem with them leaking while I owned it......

JJ

6. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

I have the ZIP extenders on our class A.
    Zero internal pressure.
    That means there is no air pressure on the stems unless you are taking the air pressure, or adding air. These extenders are available for a little more cost than the cheapies, but well worth the price. They have a stainless braided sleeve.
    They have an internal wire that presses on the valve in the stem during air up or checking.
    Also. they are anchored to the hub with stainless hardware.

Gary

7. WOOLFY

WOOLFY
    Expand Collapse

http://www.borgtiresupply.com/index-dv.htm

We put these on our Class C last year before we even took a trip in it. Best extenders I ever found and easy to check the tire pressure. A little pricey maybe but have peace of mind. If you have a problem with them he will pay you to get it fixed.