Salt Springs Campground Question

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Lindaosm, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Lindaosm

Lindaosm
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I am a newbie here to posting although I have been doing some reviewing over the last 9 months or so.

Hubby and I have been camping almost every other weekend now since mid April when we bought our 2004 24ft Skamper travel trailer. We have been trying to visit most of the FL state parks within a few hours of where we live (Ocala FL) since we both still work part time. We also prefer staying in North FL vs S FL as we moved about 10 years ago to get away from that area.

Now, here's my question.....I just found out that the Salt Springs campground actually does allow dogs even though the reserve america site does not show it. I called and was told that that had been a problem but they did allow dogs. It's one I had not considered at all because we always take our 12 year black lab.

I was wondering if anyone has been to this campground (the Federally owned one). I am looking for a spot that is pretty well shaded since we are having temps here in the high 90s. :blink: I've looked at the reviews and some say there is little shade in the lower numbered spots. One reviewer mentioned a particular spot that was good but I think she was more interested in making sure they could use their satellite. We could care less about the tv but really like some privacy and prefer shade. We did luck out when we went to Rainbow Springs a few weeks back as there was very little shade in most of those sites.

I think we want to make reservations for mid July and there are some openings.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Linda in Ocala/FL

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have been in Salt Springs park a couple times. This place is so close to you that you could drive over and take a look. One of the only Federally owned parks that has sewer on all site with 50 amps. The trees will cover some sites but a number are out in full sun. You can call office and I bet the office staff can tell you about the shade sites. As you said no over the air TV and cell service is poor if you can get it to work at all on all cell systems. Nice place to get away. Water in springs is 72 year round. If you do not like Salt Springs try Silver River State Park. This place has over half the sites under trees, very nice park. Also next door to you. :)

3. Lindaosm

Lindaosm
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 23 2011, 09:05 PM) [snapback]26589[/snapback]

We have been in Salt Springs park a couple times. This place is so close to you that you could drive over and take a look. One of the only Federally owned parks that has sewer on all site with 50 amps. The trees will cover some sites but a number are out in full sun. You can call office and I bet the office staff can tell you about the shade sites. As you said no over the air TV and cell service is poor if you can get it to work at all on all cell systems. Nice place to get away. Water in springs is 72 year round. If you do not like Salt Springs try Silver River State Park. This place has over half the sites under trees, very nice park. Also next door to you. :)

Thanks John! One of the first places we stayed was Silver River and it was great. I was thinking about a place where we could go swimming. We were lucky and also managed to get into Rainbow Springs back in May (which is really closer to us as we are in West Ocala). We'd love to go back there but they are always full on the weekends.

I actually spent many of my younger years @ Salt Springs (before the campgrounds were there) as my grandmother had a cabin back in the 50s/60s and I would visit during the summer. I had not been out there for years but last year did ride out to go to the springs but never made it back to the campground. Good idea about calling. I'll see if they can give me an idea which ones might be better.

We just came back last weekend from St George Island State park. I will have to say so far it's one of my favorites, even though our site was not one we really liked. Loved the beach and we had a great time biking into town.

THanks again! I am so glad I found this site as the reviews have been very helpful.

Linda in Ocala/FL

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 23 2011, 09:05 PM) [snapback]26589[/snapback]

Thanks John! One of the first places we stayed was Silver River and it was great. I was thinking about a place where we could go swimming. We were lucky and also managed to get into Rainbow Springs back in May (which is really closer to us as we are in West Ocala). We'd love to go back there but they are always full on the weekends.

I actually spent many of my younger years @ Salt Springs (before the campgrounds were there) as my grandmother had a cabin back in the 50s/60s and I would visit during the summer. I had not been out there for years but last year did ride out to go to the springs but never made it back to the campground. Good idea about calling. I'll see if they can give me an idea which ones might be better.

We just came back last weekend from St George Island State park. I will have to say so far it's one of my favorites, even though our site was not one we really liked. Loved the beach and we had a great time biking into town.

THanks again! I am so glad I found this site as the reviews have been very helpful.

Linda in Ocala/FL

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Linda,

We were in Rainbow Springs S/P couple weeks ago. That is a treeless place and super hot but springs are nice and cold at 72 degrees. Also add Stephen Foster S/P to your list. Near I-10 and I-75. This is one of the top State Parks in FL.. Some 50 amp sites and you back into slots of tree cover on a lot of the sites. On most sites you cannot see anything but the road in front of site. We like it! :)

5. Lindaosm

Lindaosm
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 24 2011, 03:11 PM) [snapback]26606[/snapback]

Linda,

We were in Rainbow Springs S/P couple weeks ago. That is a treeless place and super hot but springs are nice and cold at 72 degrees. Also add Stephen Foster S/P to your list. Near I-10 and I-75. This is one of the top State Parks in FL.. Some 50 amp sites and you back into slots of tree cover on a lot of the sites. On most sites you cannot see anything but the road in front of site. We like it! :)

John, Yes, Rainbow Springs is pretty treeless but we lucked out and did have some shade. It was super hot when we were there and thank goodness for the springs.
    We like Stephen Foster as well. Our spot was wonderful and we took our bikes over to Big Shoals Wildlife area and rode for miles. We also like Paynes Prairie which is another close one. We rode our bikes out on the prairie there and came across the bison. Our next one is going to be Manatee Springs. We went over there a few years back but not camping.

Have you been to Suwannee River state park? That's one we haven't been to and want to check out. Another is Blue Springs. Just so many great state parks here in Fl!

Linda

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Linda,

Suwannee River and Blue Springs S/P have been on our road map a long time as we travel in and out of FL. We have been in Paynes Prairie as well. Fl is full of nice parks to visit. On Suwannee River and the others close by, not yet. West on I-10 is also full of good State Parks. Top Sail is great. Some time next week we travel down into south FL to tour more places and if we have time a COE park we like on the river. Life is good! :D

7. Lindaosm

Lindaosm
    Expand Collapse

update:
    John,
    We did like you suggested. We rode out to Salt Springs and asked the attendent if we could go in and look at the sites. They gave us a 30 minute pass to check it out which was great. You are right, there were some spots that were shaded and I made a note of those on the map they gave me. HOwever, I also noticed that there was not much buffer between the sites. In fact, I think it's the only park we've ever been in (State of Federal) where it was that bare. It was great that each site was paved and did have sewer access. What I also found out was they keep many of the sites for walk up only and they are not reservable. In talking to one of the hosts, he indicated that even though it was a 3 day weekend, they had alot of openings.

So, we came home and checked mid July and we now have reservations at one of the sites we liked. Looking foward to our stay.

Linda in Ocala/FL

8. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

You can have dogs in the camp ground but not at the spring or the park around it.