San Antonio

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Cheryl Fuller, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

We are going to take an rv trip to San Antonio. Of course I will be checking the reviews for rv parks but was wondering if anyone has any favorite sites to see around that area. Being Texans, we are familiar with San Antonio, but mainly the well known sites such as the Riverwalk and Alamo. We have found great places to visit in other towns strictly by word of mouth. Thanks

2. bumsky2

bumsky2
    Expand Collapse

Check out Fredericksburg, Bandera, Medina and Kerrville if youhave a chance.....all towns with great shops and historical attractions. We stay in Kerrville and use it as a central location for San Antonio and all of the above. Sheryl

3. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, wow, another Cheryl. Granted, you spell yours different but it seems to be a popular name here. Before I was born, obviously there was some show on tv that had a boat named the Cheryl Ann and my parents named me after that. When I was little they always called me Tugboat Annie - thank God I outgrew that nickname!!!

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

We also love to tour San Antonio. Couple more places you may wish to look at below.

Old railroad station downtown now a night club, open to look at, may be sunset station.

TX Transportation Museum

Rolling Oaks Mall

Number of San Antonio Missions, very old

Sea World

Six Flags Fiesta

Natural Bridge Caverns and Wildlife Ranch

Windsor Park Mail

Plaza Wax Museum

River Center Mail

Spanish Governor's Palace

Hertzberg Circus Museum

Market Square

Hemis Fair Park

Steves Homestead

The riverwalk is a great place to have lunch, feed the birds, meet new people, and have a great time. Shopping is also very good downtown. More places to see but hard to remember them all at times. Have a great time!

5. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

John, I had no doubt that you were going to come thru for me. I printed out your list and put it in my "travel" folder. What are you doing home anyway? You've been back from Hawaii for about 2 weeks now, isn't it time for you to hit the road again???

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

Odd that you ask, we leave on Jan. 2nd for Kissimmee to meet some old friends and then off to Tavales and Mt. Dora, FL to see more friends and off to. Do you get the picture? This week we have had a lot of people over to eat here and we also took people out to eat. It is that time of year. We will stay at Tropical Palms in Kissimmee, great place to visit.

BlueJ, Brenda is this OK?

7. who_me

who_me
    Expand Collapse

If you know anyone at Lackland AFB ...try and see a basic training graduation ....makes you proud to be an American!!(due to security ,Lackland is no longer an open base ....)

8. easyrider65_01

easyrider65_01
    Expand Collapse

If you are headed South of San Antonio, stop by Kingsville and visit the Kingranch. It is not really a destination in in of itself, but is well worth stopping at. Their leather shop has some of the most amazing leathe furniture. Have fun in San Antonio. Hope that you guys decided to stay at Blazing Star, its a great a rv resort. If you are going to be here for Fiesta you will have a lot of fun downtown. It is kinda like a Mardi Gras and the locals love it. Happy camping!

9. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Just received our "Holidays" magazine and an article in the "Pull Over" section provides info on a campground north east of San Antonio. The campground is: Fredericksburg RV Park. We have not been there but seems to have very amenity that a RVer would require. The article goes on to state: full hookup site $27.50,weekly $165.00,monthly $300.00. 30\50 amp service at all sites,clean private bath facilities, modem friendly, large pull throughs, cement patios,free cable tv, sparkling laundry, rally\meeting facilities with a complete kitchen and seating for 30\70\120, complimentary ice, recreation hall, fax service, instant phones, and picnic tables. Well behaved pets welcome. They have a website: www.fredericksburgtexasrvpark.com and their e-mail: fbgrvpark@ktc.com their address is: 305 E. Highway St., Fredericksburg, Texas 78624. Their landline # (866) 324-7275 . The park is five years old, and is family owned by Jan & Allan Temperton.

Just some more food for thought. Activities within the area were numerous, and appealing. The campground reviews posted on the forum are positive and would give one the opinion that this establishment may very well be worth a look see.

10. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Butc - thank you so much for the info. I emailed the link to hubby - not that he will probably have time to look at it while he is at the office!!! We leave on Thursday morning and did not make reservations anywhere. We were thinking about the Blazing Star but will have him check out the one you provided info on too. I know the smart thing would be to make reservations but he said he isn't sure if we will arrive there Friday or Saturday so will just play things by ear. He will be bringing the motorhome to the house this evening so I can start getting it ready. Since it has been closed up for so long, I want to pine-sol every surface. He is wanting to go into Mexico while we are there and that kind of scares me. He is thinking about Eagle Pass or Del Rio. We have been into the border towns many times, but I am not sure it is as safe as it used to be. Thanks again.

11. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

You're most welcome, safe travels-happy times for you and yours.

12. M and F

M and F
    Expand Collapse

We were in San Antonio in February for the Rodeo/Livestock Show. Searched the area for an RV park for a week's stay for July in the northern part of the city. Blazing Star would be our only choice. With the loops and/or freeways travel around and through San Antonio is no problem.