Saranac Lake, New York

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mtpocket, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mtpocket

mtpocket
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I am looking for a campground with full hookups within a short drive of Saranac Lake. We are hoping to go to the Adirondack Mountains in May of 07 for some hiking and kayaking. We've never been there before and have had a difficult time in finding information on campgrounds in that area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We have a 31" fifth-wheel camper and have no trouble with back in sites. We do want peace and quite. I've read many of the reviews for the Lake George area and what I see most of is references to the distance from the campgrounds to the outlet malls and night life. We have no desire to do any shopping while on vacation and our night life consists of sitting around a campfire. Our children are grown so we won't be needing a playground or arcade or pool. We would like to be within a few miles of some good trails to hike and water to paddle.

2. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if this will help but try this site and click on New York You will see campgrounds listed in New York using this site. I have found this to be a good site for information when we were looking for our last road trip we used it for our travels thru IL, IN, KY, TN, GA & AL Good luck in your search Happy Trails :D
    http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Beware that during the month of May, the biting insects of the Adirondacks are BAD !! Also during the month of May the hiking trails are mostly MUD, with a capital "M". Some trails may still have snow and or ice on them in May. The weather in this area can be very unpredicable at this time of year- in fact maybe cold or at least cool. Water levels of rivers and lakes may also be very high, as the ice may have left only days before. Conditions that may not make for a very pleasant visit. A later date for your visit would definitely be a plus all around, say June and later.

There are many campgrounds in the area of Saranac Lake, but the one we use while in that area is: The Wilmington/Lake Placid KOA at Wilmington NY. The cg is about eight miles east of Lake Placid, home of the 1980's Winter Olympics, on route 86. Saranac Lake is about 10 miles west of Lake Placid on route 73. The KOA cg is 65 acres and over 200 sites, is quiet for the most part, and is located within tall pine trees. The cg is well maintained, and kept very clean. Has full hookup sites with 30 amp, and a number of 50 amp sites with catv. The cg has city water. Also has a large Adirondack style lodge. But the cg has the high prices as do most KOA campgrounds. But we feel the prices charged are worth the dollar spent because of its location, and its amenities. All the roads in this area are in good condition. The Lake Placid/Saranac lake area has numerous state marked hiking trails that vary in class as to difficulty. This section contains many of the highest mountain peaks in New York, and all or at least all have marked trails to their summits. The mountains are under 5400 feet, and all are quite different in difficulty. This area is located within the middle of the Adirondack Park, which is a state legislated "forever wild" area of over six million acres. The "high peaks region" has a lot to offer. Numerous books are available for hiking trails, and are published by regions, by the "Adirondack Mountain Club" We do not stay in the Lake George region during the months of July & August, as it is very populated with vacationers, and is very busy. Great night life, if that's your pleasure, but Lake George is over an hour and a half south of the Saranac Lake region. The Lake Placid/Saranac Lake region fits your requirement of hiking and water to paddle. We have been camping at this KOA since 1995, enjoy the cg, and the region, much to do whatever your pleasure.

4. mtpocket

mtpocket
    Expand Collapse

Meterman46 & Butch,

Thanks for your help. As always, there is so much to consider when traveling to a place you're not familiar with. The campground information was right on target. The muddy trails and the swelling creeks are two good reasons to reconsider and think more along the lines of a late summer or fall visit. The biting insects seals the deal. I'm no bug lover but my wife would be totally miserable. Sitting around a campfire certainly isn't any fun while getting bit.

Butch,

You mentioned something I had not thought of, the roads. Thanks for the information on the good roads. I'd hate to pull my camper very far down a gravel road full of holes. I got into that situation once and had to give up and search for another campground.

mtpocket

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

mtpockets:

You are most welcome, and we are glad that we could help. As we live 125 miles south of Lake Placid/Saranac Lake region, and having used this region for over ten years, we know the area. Putting the visit off until late summer/fall time frame would be a lot better than spring. A web site of interest on the Adorondacks is: Adirondack.net, may answer some questions and or concerns you may have.

Happy camping, safe travels.

6. diplomatman2002

diplomatman2002
    Expand Collapse

HI'-----I spent several years living in Saranac lake while I drove for Greyhound. The best spot that I know with full hook ups is the KOA in Willmington. It is off the beaten path and the roads are not bad at all. It is near the Whiteface Mountain Ski area and is about 15 miles from Saranac Lake. There are several nice state parks closer to Saranac Lake suck as Lake Clear and Buck Pond State Parks but they are not full hook up. It is a teriffic area.

Paul