Satelite Tv

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by ELS, Jul 20, 2007.

1. ELS

ELS
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I have been relying on CG cable tv, or our antenna. A friend just upgraded his satelite system and gave his old one to us. We haven't had it installed yet, because we know very little about the whole thing. It's DISH. I have questions like; what happens to the signal during bad weather? How is the ABC, CBS, NBC thing working now? Since we only live in R Villa a few months of the year, how do we transfer the system/signal to our land home? You can see that we are at the beginning of the process and would appreciate learning from the wisdom and experience of those of you who are way ahead of us. Thanks

2. toolmaann

toolmaann
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ELS @ Jul 20 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]7743[/snapback]

My husband and I have been relying on CG cable tv, or our antenna. A friend just upgraded his satelite system and gave his old one to us. We haven't had it installed yet, because we know very little about the whole thing. It's DISH. I have questions like; what happens to the signal during bad weather? How is the ABC, CBS, NBC thing working now? Since we only live in R Villa a few months of the year, how do we transfer the system/signal to our land home? You can see that we are at the beginning of the process and would appreciate learning from the wisdom and experience of those of you who are way ahead of us. Thanks

We carry an extra dish and reciever onboard with us. My wife called Direct TV, and added this setup as our 3rd setup. Price was much cheaper this way.

We just returned home from a 30 day sojourn, and I used it many times. Cable tv in parks can be awful spotty at times.

Our setup is simply a dish on a tripod stand, which I store in our service bay of our 35 ft Holiday Rambler. I will pull it out, and get a general signal direction by feeding the zip code of our location into the reciever in the coach. I then use a Winegard direction/signal finder to fine tune while my wife yells at me from the coach. We've become quite adept at this, and can usually be tuned in after a couple of minutes.

Bad weather can sometimes cause signal loss, but this is a pretty rare occasion.

Being on DirectTV, and not Dish network, I can't comment on the network workings. We pay extra for recieving our "local" networks (nbc, abc, cbs) and were disappointed to discover we were not able to recieve them until our trip took us back into California for our last leg.

Call your provider, as I'm certain they'll be able to answer your questions regarding signal transfer, and network reception.

Hope this helps.

3. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(toolmaann @ Jul 21 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]7751[/snapback]

We carry an extra dish and reciever onboard with us. My wife called Direct TV, and added this setup as our 3rd setup. Price was much cheaper this way.

We just returned home from a 30 day sojourn, and I used it many times. Cable tv in parks can be awful spotty at times.

Our setup is simply a dish on a tripod stand, which I store in our service bay of our 35 ft Holiday Rambler. I will pull it out, and get a general signal direction by feeding the zip code of our location into the reciever in the coach. I then use a Winegard direction/signal finder to fine tune while my wife yells at me from the coach. We've become quite adept at this, and can usually be tuned in after a couple of minutes.

Bad weather can sometimes cause signal loss, but this is a pretty rare occasion.

Being on DirectTV, and not Dish network, I can't comment on the network workings. We pay extra for recieving our "local" networks (nbc, abc, cbs) and were disappointed to discover we were not able to recieve them until our trip took us back into California for our last leg.

Call your provider, as I'm certain they'll be able to answer your questions regarding signal transfer, and network reception.

Hope this helps.

4. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(toolmaann @ Jul 21 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]7751[/snapback]

Hope this helps.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

John Blue,

I have a question for you on this topic. In your reply to ELS in the other forum you said "People at DirectTV can not tell what part of the USA or Canada you are in. " What does that mean and is that good or bad? We have been thinking about getting a satellite system so this discussion has been very interesting and helpful. Thanks to everyone for their good advice.

PS: ELS, don't worry about posting in the wrong forum. We have all probably done it before. I know I have. We are a forgiving group.