Satellite Virgin

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jerry S, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi everybody,

I am entering unfamiliar territory here so forgive my ignorance on the topic. I recently switched my home service from cable to DirecTV. I have never had satellite TV before and am considering having one of those "dome antennas" installed on the RV. I am certain that many of you have this situation where you use your home satellite service while on the road. I've asked the DirecTV salesman, the dome salesman at Camping World, and the guys who installed my home equiptment how this is done. I got 3 slightly different, not very definitive answers. If you have home DirecTV and use it on the road, can you tell me how you do it.

I'd prefer to buy a separate DirecTV reciever at Best Buy and keep it in the RV rather than undo one of my home receivers and hook it up in the RV every time I take a trip. Any advice you can provide concerning buying a separate receiver, setting it up, activating it or the hassle of using one of the home receivers during trips will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry S.

2. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 3 2009, 11:50 PM) [snapback]15723[/snapback]

Hi everybody,

I am entering unfamiliar territory here so forgive my ignorance on the topic. I recently switched my home service from cable to DirecTV. I have never had satellite TV before and am considering having one of those "dome antennas" installed on the RV. I am certain that many of you have this situation where you use your home satellite service while on the road. I've asked the DirecTV salesman, the dome salesman at Camping World, and the guys who installed my home equiptment how this is done. I got 3 slightly different, not very definitive answers. If you have home DirecTV and use it on the road, can you tell me how you do it.

I'd prefer to buy a separate DirecTV reciever at Best Buy and keep it in the RV rather than undo one of my home receivers and hook it up in the RV every time I take a trip. Any advice you can provide concerning buying a separate receiver, setting it up, activating it or the hassle of using one of the home receivers during trips will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry S.

Jerry, I use my FIL's address in FL, and my cell # (instead of home phone) and have 2 seperate accounts. When I'm home, I suspend my RV acc., and vise versa. I just finished watching Sarah Conner Chronicals, and Doll House, that I recorded w/my free DVR I got when I opened my "new" DirecTv acc. If you want HD, thats gonna be harder, because Direct is going to a new Sat. for their HD broadcasts. You'll need a 5 (but perhaps now a 3) LNB dish, to get the new HD channels. I have a KVH in motion dome that works well. Domes have a tendency to pixilate when it rains real hard, so you may want to consider a regular sat dish for the roof. I also carry a tri-pod, w/a dish set-up, if I get stuck in some trees. I hope this helps, Robbie

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jerry,

You can call DirecTV and have them add on a new RV receiver for a small fee. You can also pull one out of house and put in MH like we do. The dome antenna will work about 40% of time in parks we go to. I use antenna on ground with 100 foot cable and only couple times in years have we been blocked out due to tree cover. If you only park in open spaces dome systems work well. We have been all over the USA and never had any problems. As soon as we return back home I move it back into house, time to add it back place is a couple mins. One more item, the dome cost more than the $20 dish on ground. Takes up very little space in bay.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(riggarob @ Apr 3 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]15724[/snapback]

Domes have a tendency to pixilate when it rains real hard,

Is THAT what it's called????? I was wondering why the picture sometimes breaks up in to tiny little squares.... and if that had a "name."

I don't have a satellite, but I have seen that happen at my home cable.

JJ

5. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

If you want to go with the "ground dish" instead of the dome, you might want to consider something like this: http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html (as seen before on this site, I believe).

The low center of gravity and low profile are supposed make any wind issues almost go away. It is also very compact.

6. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the comments, advice, and suggestions. I think I need to clarify my situation and and be more specific with my questions.

The DirecTV plan I got is the second cheapest (The Choice - 150+ channels, no DVR or HD DVR). The stationary, automatic dome I am considering is from Camping World (I forget the brand) and compatable with DirecTV. This is a lazy man's choice - I can't tell you the number of times I have seen RVers screwing around with their "dishes". I know the domes are not perfect and I have heard about the potential problems with rain. I don't plan on being solely dependent on the satellite in every park. It will, hopefully, expand my park choices.

My first thought about getting a DirecTV compatable receiver from Best Buy was to save on the monthly fee DirecTV would charge for another receiver and the hassle of transfering the receiver to and from the RV/house 3 or 4 times a year. I said I was lazy. My question is: Do I just set this up with the RV satellite and TV or is there some sort of activation process to go through? I am hoping that once the initial set up is done the system is automatic as I travel from park to park.on

If I do go the "use one of my home receivers" route, my question is again about whether or not there is some sort of "process" to go through with DirecTV. Do I have to call them every time I transfer the receiver?

With everything I've been told (as mentioned in my original post) by the professionals about receivers, access cards, activation, etc., I am still confused as to what steps are involved in using DirecTV in the RV. I was unable to find any answers on their website - even in the small section about using the system in your RV or boat. Before I decide which route (new receiver or home receiver) to choose, I need to know what steps are necessary to make the system work with either choice.

John: I like the idea of a cheap ground dish as a backup, but does it really only cost $20.

Thanks again,

Jerry S.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Jerry S,

We have used our system for years now and have not made one call to DirecTV our the house or RV. I also have the 150 channels same as you have. The stationary over automatic dome is all different. The full auto system will work on the fly. On stationary units you need to find the bird (sat) same as one on the ground. Yes, my cost was $20 some years ago and prices are low yet. Some sat. shops may give you an old to get it off the floor. Very low cost item over the auto systems. One note you do not need a telephone line ever if you do wish to order downloads like a (car race or more channels). Rain will not kill the system if you have a sig level up around 95 or so. The only time we see lost of sig. level is in a heavy rain and that only last a short time. DirecTv will call you to death. I had them add a note in system "NOT NOT CALL ME". That stopped the problem cold. Sale Sale Sale.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Jerry,

Check out this discussion: It is titled "Another Satellite Question." It is on page 8 of the General Discussion Forum. Last post was Dec. 12, 2007. I'm not sure if it covers what you are asking, but I thought I'd direct you to it just in case.

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 4 2009, 07:05 PM) [snapback]15735[/snapback]

This is a lazy man's choice - I can't tell you the number of times I have seen RVers screwing around with their "dishes". I know the domes are not perfect and I have heard about the potential problems with rain. I don't plan on being solely dependent on the satellite in every park. It will, hopefully, expand my park choices.

I said I was lazy. My question is: Do I just set this up with the RV satellite and TV or is there some sort of activation process to go through? I am hoping that once the initial set up is done the system is automatic as I travel from park to park.on

If I do go the "use one of my home receivers" route, my question is again about whether or not there is some sort of "process" to go through with DirecTV. Do I have to call them every time I transfer the receiver?

I like the idea of a cheap ground dish as a backup, but does it really only cost $20.

Taking an existing receiver from the house negates any activation process since it’s already activated and working. And in keeping with being lazy, it will have a remote that you’re already familiar with. Also, keep in mind that you won't be able to watch different channels on a second TV without a second receiver which means you'll have to buy two at Best Buy.

Once my dish is set up on the tripod, it takes a couple minutes to find the satellite using a cheap compass and an inline signal meter - about $15 on line. If I haven't traveled far from the last location, then I don't even need the meter as the settings are almost identical.

A portable 18 inch dish will cost you at least $40 new. I bought one at a garage sell for $10, so look around.

If you're going to do the two TV thing, make sure the dish has a dual LNB (that's the thing at the end of the arm). To determine if it's dual, take it off the arm and look to see how many cable connectors it has. Two is dual, three is triple, etc.

The reason that “pixilation” occurs is that the dish inside the roof mounted domes is only half the size of the ground mounted ones. If you visualize the top and bottom parts of an oval dish being cut off, that’s what it looks like. The dish part of the system is only a reflector for the signal. So if you have half as much metal to do the reflecting then it won’t be as effective when the signal gets blocked by rain or vegetation.

With a roof system, it's so nice to push a button and get a signal lock, but that convenience is negated by having to find a camp site that's not in the trees.

You might want to research the Vu-Cube. It's a compromise between automatic/maual and permanent mount/portable. Camping World also sells those.

I'd also suggest that you find a rig in a CG near you that has both the roof system and a tripod antenna set up. Knock on their door and ask questions about the set-up.

10. chuckl

chuckl
    Expand Collapse

I am also one of those that takes the box from home in our case the one from the bedroom as it is not HD and neither are thee MH tvs. We have the roof mounted dome that automatically finds the signal . We did loose the signal last weekend but I guest it does not like snow :lol:

11. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Thanks again for all the responses and information.

So,as I understand it, I can take one of my activated receivers from home and hook it up to the RV TV and dome satellite system with no calls, fees, etc. It should automatically work (allowing I have a clear view) wherever I use it once the dome finds the signal. Sounds good to me. I've been lugging around the same portable 15" TV for years. If I do decide to get decadent with a second TV, I will need a separate receiver for that TV. I would also need to be certain that the dome will work for multiple TVs. With all the bigger RVs with multiple TVs I would assume an new dome handle more than one TV. As for getting a small ground dish as a backup, I would need to make sure it can handle multiple TVs ((dual NLB).

Unless I missed something, I am still not sure how I would get a new, unactivated receiver from Best Buy (or wherever) to work. Maybe the Best Buy people will be able to give me an answer.

TX: I checked out that old thread, but (as I mentioned in a topic several months ago about dated topics) "tech" topics information changes so fast that I am not sure how pertainent advice given over a year ago is today. Still, thanks for the lead.

RLM: I did check out the Vu-Cube, but I think I'll go with the dome and maybe a backup dish. The vast majority of the parks I have stayed at in recent years tend to be quite open. Again, it is the lazy thing. I do 30-40 park stays a year over a 4-5 month period so just pushing a button when I want to use the satellite is too convenient to pass up.

Jerry S.

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Jerry> You’ve pretty much got it all. Moving frequently is the ideal situation for having a dome system and it will work with separate TVs, but you won’t get separate channels unless each TV has its own receiver.

A minor point. If you’re going to do the house receiver thing, then mark the two cables in the RV coming into the receiver. They are usually the same size and look. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve hooked the two up backwards and then couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting a picture. DUH.

13. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

jerry i took a friends receiver, he wasn't using it, and called direct tv for another card. once a card is in a receiver it can not go in another one. i have to pay for another receiver. if you take one out of the house you will save the charge for another receiver.
    if you have two tv's in your rig you can put a splitter after the receiver on the line going to the tv. that way you can watch another tv. they both will have the same show. we have the receiver in the bedroom. if people stop by and want to watch a movie i can put it on the tv in the living room with out the second box.

14. tex2309

tex2309
    Expand Collapse

You also need to know that if you travel outside your home viewing area, then you will NOT receive your local channels, (abc, cbs, etc). In order to receive them, you have to call DirecTV and tell them to change your address from your home address to where you are camping..then you will receive that area's local channels...then when you get back home, you re-call DirecTV and have them change your address back to the original. It is a hassle to do this but this is the only way it can be done. (Dish Network was so much easier).

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(tex2309 @ Apr 20 2009, 05:53 PM) [snapback]15980[/snapback]

you have to call DirecTV and tell them to change your address from your home address to where you are camping..

I'll show my ignorance. If you don't call DirecTV to change your address will you continue to get the local channels for your home address?

16. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 20 2009, 06:47 PM) [snapback]15982[/snapback]

I'll show my ignorance. If you don't call DirecTV to change your address will you continue to get the local channels for your home address?

I'm not sure what you mean, but when I leave home, the only thing I do is call DirecTv and have them put my HD receivers on "vacation".

I think you are pretty knowledgable about how the local channels work, but just in case here goes. Each "local" area has a footprint which ranges from about 150-250 miles from your home. Beyond that you will not get your local home channels - under any circumstance of which I am aware. You can get what "local" stations in the footprint to which you travel, but it will not be your home stations.

17. trailmaster

trailmaster
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Apr 20 2009, 04:47 PM) [snapback]15982[/snapback]

nope, unless you are still in range of the local channels.

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I emphasize again that I don't know enough about this to even be able to ask good questions, but here goes another try anyway. I'm trying to understand if you can continue to get your local home area channels when you are traveling.

Tex2309 said, "if you travel outside your home viewing area, then you will NOT receive your local channels, (abc, cbs, etc). In order to receive them, you have to call DirecTV and tell them to change your address from your home address to where you are camping..then you will receive that area's local channels..."

A while back we were talking to another RVer about his satellite system. I don't know which network he subscribed to, but he did say that when he traveled he took his receiver and dish from his house and used them in his RV. I thought he said that he continued to get the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) from his home. I remember this because he said that meant he could not get the local stations where he was staying (because the system was set for home), and he liked to hear about the news and weather where he was. This is sort of backwards to what Tex2309 said, and I could have misunderstood what the other RVer said.

This is one reason why we haven't really considered a satellite system. Switching it from home to the RV sounds too convoluted especially when many parks have cable TV, and all I have to do is plug in a cable.

Maybe one of these days I'll understand satellite systems better, so I'm keeping an open mind about getting one.

TX

19. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Tx,

One satellite system uses "beam" technology and the other doesn't. I believe the folks who have the "beam" type find that the home channels disappear when they stray to far from home. The other technology doesn't share that "feature".

I could be out to lunch on this, but that is my (limited) understanding of what goes on.

Another type of system to consider is "free to air".

20. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Someplace in our travels, it was explained to us that if one was receiving Directv within a large metropolitan 'home' base...like Los Angeles or New York City... one continued to receive the familiar 'home' channels inside a very large travel area. That's probably the 'beam' vs 'whatever' technology difference...

Our former stick-home was in a Los Angeles Directv base. Not much 'local' satelite TV in southern California. You are stuck with San Diego or LA unless you go cable. Directv guys helped us move/hook-up the decoder box into the RV.

Important note: a street address base is manditory for Directv. PO box won't do. Not a problem if you've keeping your stick-home. :rolleyes:

Some full-timers use a former neighbor...we utilized a daughter who lives in same general area of our original stick-home.

Receive most of our familiar LA 'local' stations in all the western US. Lost a couple PBS stations when we were parked in SW Iowa. Enjoy keeping track of southern California's issues (ever unfolding soap operas).

Generally use the laptop to glean local area news as cable reception at most RV parks is overrated.

Hope this helps. Cheers!