Savannah Questions.. Again : )

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by 5happycampers, Jan 23, 2007.

1. 5happycampers

5happycampers
    Expand Collapse

We will be driving from northeastern TN/Southwestern VA down to Disney. We are looking
    for a safe, clean and convenient place to spend a night going down and a night coming back.
    Savannah looks to be about 1/2 way. I have read a ton of reviews, and I am still not certain
    what would be a good choice. We have a 33' TT , no pets, and 3 kids.

Any advice regarding a good stop over place would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

There is nothing decent in Savannah. If I were you, I would stop at either (a) Whispering Pines RV Park just a bit north of Savannah in a town called Rincon, or (B) Inland Harbor RV Park, just a bit south of Savannah in a town called Darien. Whispering Pines is somewhat off I-95, while Inland Harbor is an easy on and off from I-95. Both are excellent parks.

3. 5happycampers

5happycampers
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Neither campground has a website. My hubby found a satellite view of Whispering Pines on microsoft virtual earth, and it didnt look very good. It looks like dirt and campers and not a whole lot of trees.

Is Inland Harbor any better?

Thanks

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

If you love trees use Skidway Island State Park. The place has tons of trees and deer at night. It has some 50 amps sites with water. other sites have 30 amps with water, and they lock it up at night. No noise at night on this island.

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Inland Harbor is the better of the two, but Whispering Pines is good, also, with grassy sites, and gravel roads. The aerial photo does not do it justice. Still, if I had to pick one of the two, it would be Inland Harbor.

6. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

last winter going to florida we stopped at savannah oaks. wasn't too fancy,but it was quiet, and close to the interstate, but not too close to be bothered by the noise. convenient. ok for overnight. clean and safe.

this fall(november0 we stopped at the new green acres campground in walterboro,sc. it was a good overnight stop. close to the internet, but if you ask to be in the back of the campground, no problem,. grass sites. people were nice and it is convenientt. we probably will stop there on the way south next month.

7. jgrving

jgrving
    Expand Collapse

I highly recommend Fort McAllister State Park in Richmond Hill, GA, just south of Savannah...the park is 10 miles off the interstate, very easy to get to, and just a terrific park and campground....the fort itself is very interesting.

8. 5happycampers

5happycampers
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I am sure that I am making this harder than it is : )

Now I have added another "option"... actually 2 more making 3 choices..

1/ leave sunday... stop over somewhere "1/2 way" or thereabouts and head to Disney
    on Monday morning

2/ leave sunday and drive more than half way.. find somewhere thru/near Jacksonville
    in order to not hit the busy rush hour traffic in Jacksonville Monday

3/ leave here on Saturday... stay "somewhere" along the way that might be a treat for
    my daughter as it is her 5th birthday that day and I dont know that she would be happy spending her 5th birthday in the truck all day?

Thanks folks.. I appreciate it!

9. bigbluetim

bigbluetim
    Expand Collapse

I stayed at a campground just off Savannah in Tybee Island call The Rivers End. We stayed for 5 days in a motorhome and had a great time. Even for over night it would be a nice stay. On one side of the campground is a huge beach on the Riverside, no waves very calm great for walking, picnic. On the other side is the Atlantic with lots of waves, wind in your hair etc. They have meeting rooms and stuff so if you wanted to do a b'day party I am sure they would have a spot and knowing the people we met help arrange it.

The bath houses are actually 6 way traliers with seperate rooms for each. Best of any park I have been to yet.

Just a suggestion but well worth it.

http://members.aol.com/riversend1/camping.htm