Seattle Campers, Help Finding Weekend Spots?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by doodlebugakj, Nov 8, 2010.

1. doodlebugakj

doodlebugakj
    Expand Collapse

We have been long time tent campers and last summer purchased a trailer finally. Looking for great weekend places near Seattle (3 hour drive max) to go camping. Would like it to be full hookup but water & electric would be fine. Also like to have a nice private site with our neighbors not right on top of our site. We went to Grayland State Park at the end of the summer and loved it!! :) Also prefer State, National or County park.

Anyone have any recommendations??

2. sueinbc

sueinbc
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(doodlebugakj @ Nov 8 2010, 03:57 PM) [snapback]24820[/snapback]

We have been long time tent campers and last summer purchased a trailer finally. Looking for great weekend places near Seattle (3 hour drive max) to go camping. Would like it to be full hookup but water & electric would be fine. Also like to have a nice private site with our neighbors not right on top of our site. We went to Grayland State Park at the end of the summer and loved it!! :) Also prefer State, National or County park.

Anyone have any recommendations??

Hi there,

I am assuming that you are looking for campground recommendations within a 3 hour drive of Seattle. Some to consider: On the Olympic Peninsula, Fort Worden State Park in Pt Townsend is right on the ocean, Sequim State Park and Dungeness Spit are close by and both are lovely. Dungeness does not have hook ups but makes up for it in ambience. You may be fine without hookups for a weekend.

On Whidbey Island, Deception Pass State Park (full hook-ups) and Ft. Ebey STate Park are great. I have been told that Camano Island StatePark is nice but I haven't been there.

I don't see all of these parks listed in the review section of this site but you may want to google Washington state and regional parks to get more info about hookups and size of the sites. By and large, Washington state parks are wonderful!

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

All good suggestions by the previous poster. Also, if you want to take the Keystone/Port Townsend ferry, Fort Casey State Park is great. No hookups, unfortunately. But staying there boondocking a night is much better than RACING to get to the ferry.

In winter, the RV's all use HOnda inverters if you don't have a generator.

JJ

4. doodlebugakj

doodlebugakj
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for both these posts. We have stayed at Sequim State Park in a tent before and really enjoyed it there. Will check out your other suggestions! Yes for a weekend full hook-up is not necessary if we are thrifty with our water consumption :)