See New Places Or See Old Friends?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Apr 2, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm planning a trip to PA this summer (I live in WA). I have a specific site in PA I want to see. After I get there, I am debating whether to:

A. Continue up north to see Maine, which I have always wanted to see
    or
    B. Continue South to Georgia and Alabama and see a bunch of old friends.

I can't do both, as I only plan to be gone a month.

I'm undecided! :unsure: My friends in GA and AL want me to come by, but this may be my only chance to see Maine!

AAACCKKK!!! :eek:

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

DXS,

If this is your only change to see Maine do it. You only go round one time in life so do it right. Next time Maine is cold, wet, and full of snow them go south and see your old friends in GA and AL. Tell them you made a wrong turn someplace and got lost. We always look at it this way, if this is the only time we will have to do someplace then go for it. We travel 9,000 miles to see a place then we may never return again. Life is short!

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

I second John Blue on this one JJ. Go for Maine. ;)

Just a thought: Any of you GA or AL friends have an RV...perhaps they could join you in Maine, or at another convenient place before you head back to Washington.
    Cheers!

4. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 2 2008, 07:38 PM) [snapback]11024[/snapback]

I'm planning a trip to PA this summer (I live in WA). I have a specific site in PA I want to see. After I get there, I am debating whether to:

A. Continue up north to see Maine, which I have always wanted to see
    or
    B. Continue South to Georgia and Alabama and see a bunch of old friends.

I can't do both, as I only plan to be gone a month.

I'm undecided! :unsure: My friends in GA and AL want me to come by, but this may be my only chance to see Maine!

AAACCKKK!!! :eek:

JJ

And bring me back a lobsta' roll!!!

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'm convinced. Gotta go to Maine!

JJ

6. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I have the same train of thought as FosterImposters...maybe your friends can join you in Maine and then you can have the best of both...seeing new places with old friends!!! :)

7. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I agree, go to Maine. We have been to Acadia NP and it is absolutely beautiful. Just take a jacket, it can be cool even in the summer.

8. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

Even though you seem to have decided on Maine, let me take a different aproach to your quandry. If it was my decision, I would ask myself a lot of questions first: How close (top 10, 20 , 100) are you to these friends? Do your really care if you ever see them again? When was the last time you saw them? Have they ever visited you in WA? Would you feel bad a couple years from now if you didn't visit and something happened to one of them? Basically, if the folks are not really important people in your life, go to Maine.

On the other hand, you are only 52. You may be doing this RVing thing for years. Maine will still be there 5, 10, 15 years from now. Your 30 day time limit won't allow for a lot of time in Maine. From another topic in this forum you indicated a 300 mile per day travel schedule with a rest day every few days. That gives you 7-10 days to PA, 2-3 days to ME, 3-5 days in ME, and only 10 days for the 3,500 mile trip home. Last time I went to ME, I spent 2 weeks touring the state. I can't imagine seeing and enjoying it as much in 5 days. Not to mention all the great things (upstate NY, Boston, the rest of New England, etc.) you will be by-passing. If you decide to go to Maine, you might want to add a week or two to your trip. You will see more, have time for more multi-day stops, and be less rushed on the way home.

Don't "freak out" too much and have some fun.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 3 2008, 08:08 PM) [snapback]11039[/snapback]

JJ,

Even though you seem to have decided on Maine, let me take a different aproach to your quandry. If it was my decision, I would ask myself a lot of questions first: How close (top 10, 20 , 100) are you to these friends? Do your really care if you ever see them again? When was the last time you saw them? Have they ever visited you in WA? Would you feel bad a couple years from now if you didn't visit and something happened to one of them? Basically, if the folks are not really important people in your life, go to Maine.

On the other hand, you are only 52. You may be doing this RVing thing for years. Maine will still be there 5, 10, 15 years from now. Your 30 day time limit won't allow for a lot of time in Maine. From another topic in this forum you indicated a 300 mile per day travel schedule with a rest day every few days. That gives you 7-10 days to PA, 2-3 days to ME, 3-5 days in ME, and only 10 days for the 3,500 mile trip home. Last time I went to ME, I spent 2 weeks touring the state. I can't imagine seeing and enjoying it as much in 5 days. Not to mention all the great things (upstate NY, Boston, the rest of New England, etc.) you will be by-passing. If you decide to go to Maine, you might want to add a week or two to your trip. You will see more, have time for more multi-day stops, and be less rushed on the way home.

Don't "freak out" too much and have some fun.

Jerry, thank you for this perspective! You may have a point, trying to squeeze in Maine at my preferred travel pace may be asking too much of myself. And, you're right, I don't want to be rushed on this. Actually, my biggest problem in RV'ing is that........ I don't ever like to go home!

JJ