Sequoia Np And Kings Canyon In Early April

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by janmcn, Mar 23, 2006.

1. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

We'll be heading down I-5 in early April (about 8th) and would like to see Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs if they don't have too much snow! We know we need to stay outside the park with our 40' motorhome, but would like some advice from folks who have done it. It sounds like 180 is the preferred entrance that time of year but I don't see many RV facilities listed along that route. Please give me your advice! Thanks...
    Jan
    40' motorhome towing Jeep

2. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

I think your best bet will be to find someplace around Fresno, Visalia, etc., along the SR99 corridor. Not much camping in the valley floor below Kings Canyon.

It is definately not 40ft trailer country or roads. The campgrounds will probably be closed until Memorial Day or later depending on snow.

There are several campgrounds around Pine Flat Res. near the town of Trimmer. That's east of Fresno above SR 180. Back there in the sticks I'd stay at a campground with a host, store or some other form of "authority" present.

If you haven't been to Yosemite spring is the time to go before school lets out. Far less traffic and the falls are going great guns from the snow melt.

There is an SKP park in Coarsegold near the south entrance. Join ESCAPEES if you haven't. Great savings on camping in numerous parks nationwide.

Enjoy the trip!!!!!!!!!

Doug and Cassi

3. barry.peterson

barry.peterson
    Expand Collapse

We are currently in the San Diego area and plan to leave for that area in four weeks. Our tentative plan is to stay in Porterville at the Deer Creek RV Park, but are open to suggestions.

4. zigzag

zigzag
    Expand Collapse

We are planning to visit these Parks later in the year, and had picked the Visalia KOA(?) We've never been there. Barry, we stayed at the Deer Park in Porterville a few years ago, we will not go back. The listed park review says in all.

Where did you stay "janmcn" when you went in early April? Thanks, Steve

5. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

Visalia is a neat little town, but I don't know about the KOA there.

6. snobirds2

snobirds2
    Expand Collapse

When visiting this area this past summer we stayed at a new place called "The Lakes" in
    Chowchilla, CA (BEAUTIFUL) it is actually a golf resort, but it has very roomy landscaped sites with full hook-ups, a fabulous pool and spa, and is gated. Will definately visit again.

7. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

I am from the San Joaquin vally and this is the place to stay as long as you don't have very big dogs. www.kaweahparkresort.com/index.htm. It is in Three Rivers, which is just east of Visialia. It is very easy to get to and the road is very nice. My wife and I took a scouting trip to see if the place was as nice as the pictures, everyone knows how creative they can be, and it is. The only draw back for us was the fact you can't have any pets over 20#'s, ours poop bigger than that. The host was very sorry about the policy, said insurance or sometyhing to that nature, but extreamly friendly. We have friends who have stayed they said it is a very nice park. Wish we could have stayed there. There is another one just down the road from this one but not even close, don't be fooled by the very creative pictures, we drove there too. I'll do a little more research and see what I can come up with, hope this helps.

8. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Doug and Cassi @ Apr 30 2006, 06:36 AM) [snapback]4052[/snapback]

Visalia is a neat little town, but I don't know about the KOA there.

This is a new place and the park is an easy "10", esp if you play golf. Fairly easy access to Yosomite. The golf course is Pheasant Run. Easy access to SR99 in between Fresno and Merced. I added this to the wrong post, I am refering to the Chowchilla location, The Lakes. Sorry, still kinda new at this.