Shenandoah National Park

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Mr. Camper, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Mr. Camper

Mr. Camper
    Expand Collapse

There are four campgrounds at SNP. If anyone has stayed at any of them before I'd like to hear your thoughts. The campgrounds are Matthew's Arm, Loft Muntain, Big Meadow and Lewis Mountain. We visited SNP several years ago but stayed in Front Royal. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to everyone.

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

You might want to consider the Country Waye Campground in Luray, Virginia. This is a private campground but is one of the best we have ever encountered. The views are gorgeous, the owners are great, and the convenience to Skyline Parkway could not be better. Look up this campground under Luray, Virginia, on this site. :D

3. Finder9

Finder9
    Expand Collapse

I've checked out all the campgrounds you've mentioned and I never see large rigs up there. I suspect that most people kind of shy away because of some tight turns and inclines. It's not all that bad for a skillful driver but I see mostly trailers under 25 foot and pop ups. I stayed last year at Country Waye and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quiet and away from road noise. Close to everything.

4. Wanderlost

Wanderlost
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Big Meadows twice. In 2002, we were there in a 27' Class C. In 2004, we were there in a 32' class A, with a 12' trailer hauling two motorcycles. The speed limit is 35 mph all through the park, so if one feels insecure on some of the curves, slow down a little more. We saw a number of rigs bigger than our 32', but do check to ensure the campground can handle rigs larger than 40'.

5. Lori

Lori
    Expand Collapse

Country Waye Campground in Luray, Virginia

Does this CG have full hook-ups?
    Is there a site?

THANKS!

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Lori:

Yes, this campground has full hookups. If you will look under "Luray" on the RV Park Reviews section of this site, you will find numerous reviews of this park as well as the website. :)

7. Stan47

Stan47
    Expand Collapse

Big Meadows and Mathews Arm don't offer anything in the way of hookups. We stayed there years ago in a VW camper conversion, but that was then. Nowadays, "roughing it" for us means there's no HBO on the campground cable system.

8. abn

abn
    Expand Collapse

I was just up on Skyline Drive this past weekend. While there we drove thru the Loft Mountain campground. It is tight. It does not have sewer connections. Some sites have no connections. Sites went from kinda small to pretty nice. We did see a 40' Class A in there. Generators must be off by 8:00pm. We stayed at Misty Mountain campground in Crozet for our base camp while there. B)

9. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Aug 8 2005, 05:36 PM)
    Lori:

Yes, this campground has full hookups. If you will look under "Luray" on the RV Park Reviews section of this site, you will find numerous reviews of this park as well as the website.  :)
    [snapback]2518[/snapback]

This is a nice Campground and we have stayed there many times. We moved to a location close by and now look out our windows at the view. I drove by last week and they had dug a bunch of trenches so it looks like a new septic is going in and then new sites. They have enough room so that is ok.

John

PS they are swedish not friench I beleive.