Smokey Mountain Np Recomendations

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by dsaalease, Mar 6, 2011.

1. dsaalease

dsaalease
    Expand Collapse

We are planning a trip to Smokey Moutain NP this summer, the first week of July. What tips, pointers or advice can anyone offer? I was thinking about splitting my time into two campgrounds. One near Gatlinburg TN, then moving to the NC side. We'll proably be there 10 days. As far as what I'm looking for in a campground are full hookups, bigger sites, and a campground that isn't overrun or crowded. Also, tips on attractions other than the NP while in the area?

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

This might help with the outdoors part of the trip. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

I suggest also taking a look at doing the Grandfather Mountain Swinging Bridge.

There are so many campgrounds it's hard to suggest one. However, the "overrun or crowded" issue will probably be in effect. The area gets millions of visitors and I suspect July will have it's share.

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

looking for in a campground are full hookups, bigger sites, and a campground that isn't overrun or crowded

During the summer, all campgrounds near Smokey Mountain NP are crowded, traffic is heavy, and, until you get deep into the park pretty commercial stuff. If you stay in the Townsend area parks are, IMO, a bit nicer and quieter than those closer to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. We stay near there every summer. We have found staying within an hour of the park and going there for day trips works best for us.

4. Momz

Momz
    Expand Collapse

We stayed three nights at the KOA in Cherokee. It was a little expensive, but nice with the kids. It is close to the Smokey Mtn Parkway. Nice pool and right on the river. KOA has water tubing (they will take you up river, let you out, and you float down to the camp).

5. padre44

padre44
    Expand Collapse

Smokey Bear park outside of Gatlinburg is extremely clean and attractive. We were there in early March and of course was not crowded. They have a few pull through sites of concrete for big rigs, and nice back-in sites. Owners are on-site.