snowbirding in S Texas

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Bea, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Bea

Bea
    Expand Collapse

We will be new to snowbirding this coming winter and need help in picking a v site to go to. Se want to go to the S Rio Grande Valley area and are looking for a site where there is alot to do, free fishing, not the cheapest , but not the most expensive. We are retirees and have a 27 ft. Hi-Lo travel trailer. thanks you any help you can give.
    Bea

2. HappyTrails

HappyTrails
    Expand Collapse

Hello Bea,
    If you want to be in the Rio for the winter you might want to check out Isla Blanca Park that is at South Padre Island. It is a county park with a security guard at the front entrance, very large park right on the waterfront and they have lots to do there. They get full quickly so if you're serious make your reservations now. We got a late start this past winter due the the birth of our granddaughter and they were full when we called for a reservation. They offered us an "overflow site" which we had had prior experience with and decided against. Big mistake!! After we decided on another park, near Corpus for the winter, we drove down there to find their overflow sites exceptional.. and not a soul was left in them. They book to their overflow and it's a first come first serve for sites out of overflow... so if someone cancels you get a site right away! It's a beautiful place...If you'd like I'll be glad to email you some pictures... There is a lot to do there... beautiful national seashore... Mexico close by so you can visit and shop there... and many nice restaurants. They do get a bit "wild" during spring break.. so it's usually a good thing to have your winter over before then... which is in late March...but it's a wonderful place.. and just in case the park is already booked... give the guys over at Destination South Padre a call... that's another wonderful option!!

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw
    Expand Collapse

Hi Bea,
    I've been scouting around for places around South Padre also. I've read Mustang Island is a good place to go and I read about Gulf Waters RV Park. Don't know if they've good or not!
    Two other cities for possibly checking out are Mission and Bentsen.
    Good luck,
    Peg

4. NY George

NY George
    Expand Collapse

We go and have been going the last 3 winters to Mission TX. Plenty of things to do
    and if you like to dance,any kind from ballroom to square dancing.
    If you need any more info feel free to e mail us