Solar Charging While Driving?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by foxxnick, Aug 4, 2023.

1. foxxnick

foxxnick
    Expand Collapse

Possibly a stupid question, but my wife asked and I couldn't say for certain.

We're planning a long cross country trip this summer, I'm planning on 1,365 watts of solar for our travel trailer's roof. Will those panels charge our batteries while we drive? It seems like they obviously would, but I thought I'd ask.

Reason for asking: If we're driving for 8 hours a day, it'd be nice to arrive at the next camping spot with fully charged batteries.

TIA!

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I don't have any solar but, my thoughts are the panels would not care if they are sitting still or moving down the road. As long as they are getting some sun light and you have the unit switched to charge the battery, it would be charging.

3. Mike&Wendy

Mike&Wendy
    Expand Collapse

If your trailer is properly wired, your vehicle's alternator will charge the battery in the trailer as you drive. Additionally, there should be no reason for solar panels not to work during movement

4. foxxnick

foxxnick
    Expand Collapse

:D:DAll my panels are working well.:D

#4 foxxnick, Aug 15, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
  5. Hotrod27

Hotrod27
    Expand Collapse

there are other factors of solar panels to consider , 1365 watts of panels sound good , but what efficiency are they producing considering they are pointing straight up , they will definitely lose some efficiency compared to directly facing the son , and depending on the amount and type of batteries you have , lithium charge much faster and deeper than flooded batteries , but they will be charged by the panels when traveling and depending on how much they are initially discharged , but as another pointed out , your batteries would be charged by the truck that is towing the rv as well , assuming hooked to power to charge from truck

Grizzly Valley Bear likes this.
  6. Mike&Wendy

Mike&Wendy
    Expand Collapse

upload_2023-8-21_10-20-44.png
    In this diagram - black will be your charge wire for 12 volt system.

7. mark60509

mark60509
    Expand Collapse

What if your refer is running on the batteries?