Solenoid

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Mar 4, 2009.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

My "new to me" Kustom Koach has a solenoid rather than a battery isolator for charging the house batteries. Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages?

Is there a separate charge controller for the "house" batteries in such a system?

I've read all the manuals and there is no mention of the solenoid.

(Inquiring mind want to know!)

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

Our motorhome has a 200 amp solenoid that is used to tie the house batteries to engine battery. This is used to start the engine from house batteries if needed. We have two 8D AGM's for house and one 8D for engine. The three stage charger/inverter will charge the house batteries only. Newer systems will charge engine battery as well. The battery isolator will stop drain of all batteries if you had one.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

It has only a solenoid for isolation. No diode.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

The 200 amp diode block we have has three post, one lead to each + post on battery set and center post to 130 amp alternator. The current flows in center post then out to battery set that needs the most amps. This will charge all batteries as you drive down the road. The diode block stops back flow current from one + post on battery set to the next and this is your isolation system.

How do you charge the batteries in your motorhome as you drive it? Look under hood near alternator for this diode block. One you have will be less that 200 amps. Look at the large RED lead on alternator, that lead will go to this block if motorhome has one. Use care around the batteries as they carry a lot of energy and will burn you if you short them out.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

I have a solenoid type isolator. It keeps the house batteries separate from the starter batteries until the engine starts. Then all the batteries get charged.

There is no diode type isolator on my RV.