South Florida

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by RonAllen, Jun 26, 2009.

1. RonAllen

RonAllen
    Expand Collapse

I will be looking for a RV park in South Florida to full time in until I purchase a house. Prefer the lower part of Florida. Pools and club houses not needed, just a nice basic park.
    Thanks, Ron

2. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

You need to be a little more specific. If it were myself, I would avoid the Miami area, or any part of the east side of south Florida. I suggest you look at Naples or Everglades City. But realize that all parks in Florida are expensive.

3. RonAllen

RonAllen
    Expand Collapse

Kirk, I am going to look for a house in the Cape Coral area. So any area east or south (maby north) of there would be great. Not looking for a resort... there is too much good fishing in that area to keep us busy.
    Ron

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I am a native of SW Florida and would never move back. We recently spent a few days in the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale are and quickly went into the Everglades to escape it. There are many, many campgrounds all over there and there is a big difference in them between snowbird season and off season. Stay around one or two nights at a time to get what you want. This time of years, there will be many vacancies and lower prices. Traffic can be very bad and some areas are very rough. Lots of drugs and violence. Much of the TV series “Cops” is filmed in South Florida. In some areas it is common for English not to be spoken.

I am familiar with Cape Coral as I was born in Fort Myers when Cape Corel did not exist. In 1962 I went to Cape Coral on a blind date with the girl who eventually became my wife. It is much better than South Florida. It has the highest rate of foreclosed homes in the US. I am sure you can get a great deal on a house, but plan of keeping it for years Also be sure that the utility assessments has been paid. Some have and some haven’t and this could be a $20,000 surprise. If you are looking to work, they have very high unemployment in that area. I fished in that area with my family back in the 50’s and 60’s almost daily and the fishing now is just a small fraction of those days. If you et on a canal be sure to allow for the time it takes to get out to the river which can be an hour or more on some canals. Good Luck

5. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

Check out Riverside Rv Resort. This is about 30 minutes from Cape Coral. No hope of a winter lot, but would be great for your fall shopping.

Ask for Karen or Bonnie. Big John from Ohio recommended this park. See review on this site. 5 miles East of I75, Port Charlotte, Florida