Sportsman RV Park, Radford, Virginia

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Beastdriver, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know anything about the Sportsman RV Park on the New River near Radford, Virginia. This is a new park, very small, right on the river. Any information would be appreciated.

2. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver,

I am not 100% sure on this but as you go over the river on the bridge down below is a small campground and gas station combo. RIght on the river and I have only seen a couple rigs in it every so often. I will have to drive south again in a few days and will look.

If it is the park it would be very close th ethe river if it floods and very noisy since I 81 is right overhead.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

John:

I think this is the same one. If you do have an opportunity to by and look at it, I would appreciate it. We plan to spend a week there in late September. Thank you.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

WIll not get that way till after labor day. I will see it when I come back from the smokies but when I have seen it in passing before it was never very full. I have said I would like to try it one time my wife said no.

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

John: Thanks, but I plan to stay there before labor day. I'll write a review and let everyone know how it is.

6. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

I've seen the park. I-81 is directly overhead and it has to be very noisy from the trucks flying over the bridge. I-81 has heavy truck traffic 24/7. Rarely occupied.

Doug and Cassi

A nicer park might be at Dixie Caverns to the north along I-81 around exit 125-130.

Doug and Cassi

7. roanokecampers

roanokecampers
    Expand Collapse

Dixie Caverns is a dump. I would not stay there unless it is a quick overnighter. We love the Claytor Lake State Park near Radford. Very clean and on the lake. However, there are no sights directly on the water. Good luck.

8. roanokecampers

roanokecampers
    Expand Collapse

We just got back from touring campgrounds in Southwestern Virginia. We stopped by the Sportsman Campground. There are 11 spots, half right on the river. If you love to fish, this looks like a great place. The bathhouse looked a little shabby and yes, you can definitely hear the interstate traffic, but at night if you have AC you probably would not hear it. We stayed at Claytor Lake State Park in Pulaski, one exit past the Sportsman. WE LOVED IT!!!! What a beautiful place. So clean, quiet and the lake is right down the hill.