Spring Break - What should we do?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Janet, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Janet

Janet
    Expand Collapse

Hi all - We are trying to plan spring break vacation, but can't seem to get any good ideas. Last year we flew to Las Vegas, but we have since bought a 30' motorhome, and we would like to go camping this year. We live in MI, so we'd like to go somewhere warm, but don't want to drive more than 2 days or so each way.

We've been considering Jekyll Island as we've heard it's wonderful, but I'm discouraged now by the buggy reports and that there's nothing for children to do. Our kids are 13 and 10. Also needs to have a bike path or somewhere my husband can run.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Janet:

If you can handle the drive (800 miles from Detroit), I would suggest the Willowtree Resort in Longs, SC. This resort is only 15 minutes from the ocean in Myrtle Beach, SC, and is truly a resort. It has a 40-acre lake, a paved jogging/bike path around the entire lake, paddleboats, canoes, golf carts, fishing, pools, and all sorts of things to do. It is one of the most spacious and beautiful parks we've encountered. Check out the recommendations from others on this site, either under Longs,SC, or North Myrtle Beach, NC. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. Janet

Janet
    Expand Collapse

Hey, Beast - That campground looks awesome! And it received much better reviews than the Jekyll Island campground did. I wonder why no cable, though? I'm not sure my husband can survive in such inhumane conditions! :lol:

I forgot to mention that our spring break is the first week of April.

4. Janet

Janet
    Expand Collapse

OK, now I've been looking at Myrtle Beach Travel Park and Ocean Lakes...the reviews seem good, but I'd like to hear what you all think!

5. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park last summer. Previously we had always stayed at Lakewood (right beside Oceanlakes), but couldn't get into any of the others due to a late decision to go. The Travel Park was the only one with available sites. We will stay at the Travel Park again the next time we go. The do not allow or rent golf carts like they do at the other campgrounds. (Although, I think the permanent site owners can have them.) Which means, you can safely walk, ride bikes, or drive around the park. The pools are nice, they have a lazy river (kind of small), the staff is helpful and friendly. The beach was clean, not a lot of fireworks garbage that you see at the southern end. The sites were a nice size for the area, beach area is pull-through, with shelters. I can't really tell you anything about the activities for kids (mine are in college and stayed home for school and to work). We have never stayed at Oceanlakes.