Stay By The Month

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by benshoort, Jan 2, 2009.

1. benshoort

benshoort
    Expand Collapse

Hi I am very new to the rv lifestyle, I want to buy a travel trailer to use for my job but unsure of the cost I will be paying to stay by the month; Can anyone please shed some light on the subject for me please? I will be mostly in the AL, GA, and KY region, any help will be thankful...

2. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Look on the reviews for a campground in the area you want to be. Maybe buy the Trailer Life Directory. www.trailerlifedirectory.com Then call the places your interested in and see how much they will charge you for what you want. 30 or 50 amp, ielectric extra or with the cost of the month, Water, sewer, pull thru, back in. If you are staying longer then one month might be less. What ever you might want. Prices can be $200 a month including electric on up plus a lot of places you have to pay electric. Just depends on the campground and how fancy of a place you are looking for.

3. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(benshoort @ Jan 3 2009, 02:02 AM) [snapback]14711[/snapback]

Hi I am very new to the rv lifestyle, I want to buy a travel trailer to use for my job but unsure of the cost I will be paying to stay by the month; Can anyone please shed some light on the subject for me please? I will be mostly in the AL, GA, and KY region, any help will be thankful...

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you directly for the areas you state, but I can tell you that paying monthly is MUCH cheaper than paying by the day or even the week.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My experience is limited to parks in the West, but the MONTHLY rates are usually based on 20 days. Take the daily rate and multiply by 20 and that is..... USUALLY..... the "monthly" rate. You don't get Good Sam or AAA discounts on Monthly rates. Also, they don't usually charge sales tax on monthly rates, but that may be dependent on the State. (Parks in WA state don't, to my knowledge, assess sales and lodging tax on MONTHLY rates.) In most cases, you pay extra for electricity on MONTHLY rate.

JJ

5. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jan 3 2009, 11:28 PM) [snapback]14724[/snapback]

My experience is limited to parks in the West, but the MONTHLY rates are usually based on 20 days. Take the daily rate and multiply by 20 and that is..... USUALLY..... the "monthly" rate. You don't get Good Sam or AAA discounts on Monthly rates. Also, they don't usually charge sales tax on monthly rates, but that may be dependent on the State. (Parks in WA state don't, to my knowledge, assess sales and lodging tax on MONTHLY rates.) In most cases, you pay extra for electricity on MONTHLY rate.

JJ

JJ I have stayed at a few parks by the month that were not anywhere near your idea of cost. Example where I am is 25 a night 90 a week 200 a month. My home station is 18 or 25 a month and 175 or 250 a month. Those are with or without paying the electric seperate. Last winter I stayed at one that was 380 a month or 35 a night. so the 20 day cost you quoted would not begin to stand up. Maybe 10 day instead of 20.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Well, I have found parks in Long Beach, WA that have a REALLY CHEAP monthly rate in the winter, and it is more closer to what you say.....

JJ

7. pipelnrwife

pipelnrwife
    Expand Collapse

ben...

We do this very thing, full-timing while following husband's work. During the last 5 1/2 years we have been from coast to coast and have paid anywhere from 250.00 to 700.00 per month. Some of these fees have included electric, some have not. The midwest is not the cheapest, but neither has it been the most expensive.

My suggestion is to use the resources given to you in this thread and then call prior to your arrival. A lot of times when the campgrounds find that you want to stay longer they will give you a true "monthly" rate. Beware though, sometimes, (this happened to us in Wisconsin) the campground required us to pay a "seasonal" rate. They wouldn't let us pay by the week or month, in order to get a full hook-up they charged us a flat rate for the whole summer/fall. This was quite expensive, but unavoidable due to the location. (Every campground within 50 miles was the same way!) As it turned out, we were able to use the whole season, but had we gotten finished early, we would have lost money. It just seems to me that we have better luck when we talk to the owner several weeks prior to arrival so they know what our needs are.

Best of luck!