Tar On Camper

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mastercraft, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Hello Everyone,
    We just got home from a 4 week trip out west. While we were out there, Montana was working on I 90. They had it ground down and had put tar on top of the small gravel. It is all over the bottom of my 5th wheel on the fiberglass. I know they make products that take the tar off cars, but it is harsh and sometimes takes the paint off. I was wondering if anyone had used a product that removes tar from fiberglass. Any help would be appreciated since my 5th wheel is nasty.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Nelson uses Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover (buy it at Walmart) on ours. He uses it on the front end to clean off the bugs, so I know it won't hurt the paint. I don't know how well it will work on tar because we haven't had the misfortune to need it.

3. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

thanks,
    I will head over to Wal Mart today.

4. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Kerosene works about as well as anything. A gallon of Colman fuel will take off a lot tar. I have used it on boats and motorhomes with no ill effects.

5. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

WD-40 works great!

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

One Qt. of Mineral Spirits, low cost, works fast, no damage, Home Depot to buy it. :p

7. Howard James

Howard James
    Expand Collapse

If I am travelling in the southern states during lo0ve bug season I put a small amount of bvaby oil on the front of my 5h wheel and truck. When you arrive at your destination just take a water hose and brush and most bugs will come right off. There is still that 10%.

Howard Perry

8. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mastercraft @ Aug 1 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]7867[/snapback]

Hello Everyone,
    We just got home from a 4 week trip out west. While we were out there, Montana was working on I 90. They had it ground down and had put tar on top of the small gravel. It is all over the bottom of my 5th wheel on the fiberglass. I know they make products that take the tar off cars, but it is harsh and sometimes takes the paint off. I was wondering if anyone had used a product that removes tar from fiberglass. Any help would be appreciated since my 5th wheel is nasty.

Terpin class solvents are organic. orange oil, terpintine, etc as well as very safe.

I clean carpet for a living and we have found that citrus based solvents seem to be the most effective in disolving gum, tar, ink,etc without damage to the more than delicate carpet fibers.

9. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I have found that diesel fuel works quite well and does not damage the finish.