Texarkana Rv Music Park South Of Town

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mac3919, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mac3919

mac3919
    Expand Collapse

There is a Texarkana RV Park on the Arkansas side of the state boundary, and there is a Texarkana RV Music Park on the Texas side, south of the city of Texarkana. I have never been to the Texarkana RV Park in town, but I love the Texarkana RV Music Park. It is an old bluegrass pickers' park with a warm welcome to listeners. Used to alive nightly with jam sessions, but now sometimes there are enough and sometimes not. They have a delightful festival twice a year--one the weekend after Memorial Day and one the weekend after Labor Day. I happened in there after getting scared out of the Sterling Crest Park in town. The history of the Music Park is interesting. It thrived, then changed hands and went downhill--the pickers were aging, and the new owners didn't keep up appearances, so listeners and travelers slowed to a trickle. A new couple, the man is a fabulous musician, bought it 2 yrs ago. This couple is also aging, but trying to revive it. I was there the weekend before the festival in May, and loved it. Jam sessions, talk sessions in the covered shelter that whole week prior to the festival. Came back two weeks after the festival and not enough musicians to gather. It is a Passport America cg, so a few travelers come in; it is probably 5 to 8 mi from the Interstate. No pool, showers and restrooms not very appealing but clean. Indoor facilities for bad weather picking, outdoor as well. I never met such a warm group of people. Hookups are funny, but they work. Large, woodsy grounds, but open enough for satellite. Owners on grounds, as well as some retired pickers and prior owners.