Texas To New England?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by M and F, Apr 12, 2006.

1. M and F

M and F
    Expand Collapse

Me (DW) wants to make a trip to Vermont/New Hampshire but DH is fearful of traffic/roads through Pennsylvania and New York. Any help would be appreciated either pro or con on making this trip. I can always make the trip in another lifetime.

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Need some idea where you want to enter Vermont/New Hampshire and what time of year. Are you looking at toll roadways or freebie interstate roadways ? Pennsylvania roadways,(those running north and south) are mountainous with long grades, example I 81. New York I 88 has a few long grades also, but need more info from you.

3. M and F

M and F
    Expand Collapse

Haven't gathered material to know where we'd like to enter. Want roads that aren't narrow. Since we've done the Rockies back and forth all the way from Texas to Canada, we watch grades - no more than 6% (using the Western Mountain Directory). Also traffic jams are a concern. When we plan to go? Haven't really decided. Have to wait until first of June and then we're free for the rest of the year. Then again this trip may not take place until next year. Still have to have help at convincing DH
    We've never used toll roads as have only one in Texas and the one in Florida, we avoided.

4. Doug and Cassi

Doug and Cassi
    Expand Collapse

I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley is nice, but there is a lot of truck traffic. The further north you get the more traffic there is.

THe fall colors are every bit as good in VA as they are in VT or NH and not the hoards of people.

Douthat State Park outside Clifton Forge, VA has about 80 EW hookup sites with a dump in the two campgrounds. There is also a 3rd campground right on the lake. No hookups, but it does have a dump station. Great scenery, good fishing, boat rentals, (no outboards), a swimming beach, restaurant, cabins. Rated consistently one of the best 10 state parks in the country. One of the first original six state parks in VA.

Traffic in a car around DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC is awful but can be done in an RV. Watch for tunnel/bridge restrictions because of your propane. The officials have absolutely no sense of humor if you screw up and violate those regs.

If you get nervous in HEAVY, FAST, RUDE congestion, you might want to bypass the big cities and use mass transit or your toad to explore.

Traffic around DC and Baltimore is not as heavy on weekends in my experience. Probably true in Philly and NYC area.

Under no circumstances would I take an RV into NYC. DC you could do but probably not find a place to park. DC has a great subway system(Metro).

Hope this helps.

Doug

5. M and F

M and F
    Expand Collapse

Have been advised to go up from Dallas to St Louis, to Cleveland, to Erie, across to Albany then up and cross Lake Champlain. Then explore in the toad. Right, congestion whether in RV, toad or on foot, just isn't our thing. May not be able to make this trip this year. Probably back to the northwest. Just waiting for gas to get a little higher. Just kidding.

6. Waynem

Waynem
    Expand Collapse

Did you make your trip to New England?
    We just returned from there about two weeks ago. Left Mother's day and just returned. I did park at my brother's house in Central Mass for some time but did pull to New Hampshire and Maine. If you have not made the trip yet, I'll give more information on roads and CG's.

Semper Fi!

p.s., I pulled a 38 ft Montana 3400RL with a F-350, King Ranch, CC LB DRW. This coming Wednesday I pick up our new Winnebago Destination.

QUOTE(flomas @ Apr 25 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]4015[/snapback]

Have been advised to go up from Dallas to St Louis, to Cleveland, to Erie, across to Albany then up and cross Lake Champlain. Then explore in the toad. Right, congestion whether in RV, toad or on foot, just isn't our thing. May not be able to make this trip this year. Probably back to the northwest. Just waiting for gas to get a little higher. Just kidding.

7. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I live in Connecticut and have family in West Virginia. So my wife and I take our RV through NY and PA (& NJ). We've had good luck with I-84 through CT & NY, connect to I-81 in PA. It has elevation, but the roads are pretty wide and there are enough big places to stop that it's not scary in an RV.

For excitement, we drive close to NYC over the Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87/287) and connect to I-78 in Jersey into PA, which ultimately connects to I-81 in PA.

All routes are good AND bad. It really depends on your timing. Don't go near northern NJ or NYC area during either rush hour and you'll be fine.

AND if you end up going through NJ, remember that you aren't allowed to pump your own gas! Fortunately, it's a decent price there, even with full service.