The Camping Bug

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by coacbcps, May 3, 2010.

1. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

2. Sunny_0ne

Sunny_0ne
    Expand Collapse

We live to camp! I don't think I would skip my best friend's wedding, but anything less than that is subject to taking second place. :D

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I have several thoughts. Your best friend's daughter will only get married once (hopefully), but there will be many opportunities to go camping. That said we have discovered that there is always something else happening that could keep us from going on a trip. If we stayed home and went to everything we would never get on the road. We just have to make a choice that feels right for us, and hope we don't hurt anyone else's feelings.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Every time you have the chance to go camping do it. If you can get one or two days that is good. If you have time to travel six months that is better. Remember soon we all will be at the rest home and thinking I had planned to do more camping someday. Before long the popup will be a large class A motorhome. :p

5. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ May 4 2010, 12:40 AM) [snapback]21931[/snapback]

I have several thoughts. Your best friend's daughter will only get married once (hopefully), but there will be many opportunities to go camping. We just have to make a choice that feels right for us, and hope we don't hurt anyone else's feelings.

Oh, we're going to the wedding, there's no doubt about that! I'm just surprised at how obsessed my family has gotten with camping and was wondering if there were any crazy stories out there about skipping one event in order to go camping.

6. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ May 4 2010, 08:33 AM) [snapback]21933[/snapback]

Oh, we're going to the wedding, there's no doubt about that! I'm just surprised at how obsessed my family has gotten with camping and was wondering if there were any crazy stories out there about skipping one event in order to go camping.

Take the camper to wedding and leave from there take a doggy bag and some drinks for the road. HaHa just kidding well maybe not for me. My son graduates from 8th grade on the friday before memorial weekend and we leaving for a trip saturday plus I am paying for that friday and I wont be there intill sat due to the holiday parks are a 3 day minn better pay than go no where. So you are not alone there is nothing better than camping with your famly.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ May 3 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]21925[/snapback]

OK, I would like to know how many of you have ever skipped out on something just so you can go camping?

When I volunteered in Kentucky last summer, I asked full-timers about this. I asked if they ever "missed" (i.e., "skipped" as you say) events. They said, YES WE DO, but they love the RV Lifestyle.

I managed to work my camp hosting so I could show up for Mom's birthday, but I am "Skipping" Mother's Day this year. Am I bad?

I will manage to make a graduation in June this year. I'm taking the RV and camping on the way over.

And, I will get to go to an Air Force Academy graduation next summer, I can't wait for that. I already scoped out RV parks in Colorado Springs.

JJ

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

It is a wise man that leaves this type of decision up to his wife.

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ May 3 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]21925[/snapback]

OK.. how many of you have ever skipped out on something just so you can go camping?

Well: I have used 'gone camping' as the excuse to MISS events that I probably should have attended. That said, I'd do it again. :lol:

10. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ May 5 2010, 02:41 PM) [snapback]21949[/snapback]

Well: I have used 'gone camping' as the excuse to MISS events that I probably should have attended. That said, I'd do it again. :lol:

hubby, daughter and grandkids always go a couple of days before me. i still work so i will put in for a friday run out the door at 5 pm on thursday head home load up the cat food bowl and grab the doggies they know the camper left and they are so excited to head out i am on this forum all the time daydreaming about where we can go next.our 4 yearold grandaughter calls the camper memaws little house.......

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(witherig @ May 6 2010, 10:49 AM) [snapback]21964[/snapback]

our 4 yearold grandaughter calls the camper memaws little house.......

You must be located in the southern states. When I was in Kentucky last summer, I noticed the use of "memaw" and "papaw" a lot! I thought it was cute!

JJ

12. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ May 6 2010, 10:52 PM) [snapback]21974[/snapback]

You must be located in the southern states. When I was in Kentucky last summer, I noticed the use of "memaw" and "papaw" a lot! I thought it was cute!

JJ

My mother was known as Ahma to her grandkids - the oldest grandchild (now 37) started calling her that and it stuck.

13. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ May 4 2010, 01:53 AM) [snapback]21932[/snapback]

Every time you have the chance to go camping do it. If you can get one or two days that is good. If you have time to travel six months that is better. Remember soon we all will be at the rest home and thinking I had planned to do more camping someday. Before long the popup will be a large class A motorhome. :p

My son's school scheduled a concert for the Friday of Memorial day weekend - we had planned on leaving Thursday Night. We simply shifted the trip by one day, and will leave after his concert rather than skipping it. It was a tough call though, took about 3 days to decide what we should do.

14. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ May 25 2010, 04:57 PM) [snapback]22233[/snapback]

My son's school scheduled a concert for the Friday of Memorial day weekend - we had planned on leaving Thursday Night. We simply shifted the trip by one day, and will leave after his concert rather than skipping it. It was a tough call though, took about 3 days to decide what we should do.

Makes you kind of wonder "what were they thinking!" :blink: Who in their right mind plans a concert right before a holiday weekend . . . obviously someone who doesn't have somewhere to go! I bet they even said that his grade would be affected if he doesn't show up. I hate it when that happens. :angry:

15. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ May 26 2010, 09:41 AM) [snapback]22244[/snapback]

Makes you kind of wonder "what were they thinking!" :blink: Who in their right mind plans a concert right before a holiday weekend . . . obviously someone who doesn't have somewhere to go! I bet they even said that his grade would be affected if he doesn't show up. I hate it when that happens. :angry:

Nah - no impact to his grade, thankfully - but we decided that it would be good for him to be a part of it with all of the other kindegartners... So, instead of sitting in Memorial Day traffic on Monday coming home, we'll sit in it on Friday going down. Should be fun, this will be only my second trip without a pull-thru. Not sure who's more nervous - my son about the performance, or me about the parking job? :blink: