The "scoop" On Coupons And Tv Converter Boxes

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I had a whole long post prepared, and when I tried to post it, I found I was "logged out." Let's try again!

I got my box. When you get your coupon, you have 90 days to use it, there is an expiration date. If you live in a rural area and receive your signals on what is called "translator" stations, then you need to be sure you buy one of the following models:

ECHOSTAR TR-40
    Magnavox TB-100MG9 (There are TWO Magnavox models on the list, but only one is meant
    for "low power" areas)
    Philco TB100HH9
    Philco TV150HH9

How do you know if you are in a "low power" area? Ok, if you are watching, say, FOX 13, on, say, channel 46, then you are on a "translator" and need one of the four models above. If you get FOX 13 on channel 13, you can buy any other model on the list.

If you are a full-timer and don't have satellite, and there is a remote possibility you will travel to an area that gets their signals and "translators" and you won't be hooked up to cable, then you better get one of the models I menioned above.

In my area, there are four authorized dealers: RadioShack, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy. Now, RadioShack insisted that the feds "required" them to obtain your name and zip code as a condition of using the coupon. NOT TRUE! If RadioShack pulls this stunt, merely reply that it's not true, you are NOT required to provide any personal information as a condition of using the coupon. I bought mine at Best Buy. Nobody in my area was carrying any of the four models I mentioned above. Best Buy was carrying the Insignia NS-DXA1. $59.99. Even though you have the $40 coupon, if you live in a sales tax state, you will be charged sales tax on the regular price of the box (in my case, 8% of $59.99), even though you only pay $19.99 with the $40 coupon.

I forgot who, in another thread, said, "I don't know nuttin' about no wires and cables," but if you are using ONLY an antena, the directions are pretty easy to follow. On the other hand, if you are like me and trying to sneak a few extra channels out of your cable, well, you might need to call a geek. In my case, my bedroom TV is analog, and my living room TV is digital. When my cable company notified me of a revised channel lineup, I rescanned my digital and got 3 extra channels, in addition to a lot of "audio" channels. I can't get those channels on my analog TV. So, I tried every configuration I could in stringing those wires and couldn't get the channels to scan. I got the "Scanning" screen on my TV, no problem, so I know the box works. But I couldn't scan any channels. I'll keep messing with it to see if I can get it to work with the cable service. I tried disconnecting the VCR and pretending it wasn't there, and just using the TV, couldn't scan any channels. But when I disconnected it from the cable plug in on the wall, and just plugged in an antena (reception here is kind of lousy, but you can get some TV on antena....), I got it to work.

So, I guess they are right, if you have cable, don't need the box cuz it won't work with cable service.

Well, that's my experience.

JJ

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

More info. One of my friends, who is an "electronic geek," thinks that in my situation, the cable company doesn't know what they are doing on the digital spectrum yet, and the "extra channels" that I got, well, I'm not supposed to get them on the basic cable package that I have.

Also, I read somewhere that if you are on antena, and are using a VCR on the same TV you have the "box" connected to, well, when you record, you have to have the "box" set to the channel you are recording. If you have, oh, three programs set up to record on three different channels, and each recording weekly, well, each time, you will have to manually change the box each time before your show records.

JJ

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

JJ,

I can't speak for all converter boxes, but I can verify that the one we have for our cable service is the way you've described. The box does not change channels unless you do it manually. I can set the VCR/DVD to record at different days and times, but it will only record the channel that the box is set on. Also to go one step further we can't record one show and watch another at the same time because of the box. Now you can connect one box to the TV and another box to the VCR to solve that problem, but you can still record only one channel unless you change it manually. We actually had one TV set up this way, but it just wasn't working well for us so we got rid of one box. (We only kept one box on one TV because we wanted to subscribe to a movie package, and with our cable provider you can't get those channels without the box.)

Also like you we thought we were getting some channels that we weren't supposed to. Unfortunately our provider made some changes in Feb., and those channels went away. Oh, well. It's not like we don't have anything else to watch.

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Just a comment about the coupons. We requested two coupons and were denied as our mailing address uses a Post Office Box number. So I called and spoke to an individual who stated they do not send to PO Box # and needed an actual street address, but we do not receive our mail there. We tried the street address but was denied again. It's not really worth all the trouble for two lousy coupons, but that maybe just the Feds way to cut their costs in dealing with this subject........namely the coupons @ $40.00 each. Pure nonsense !!!!!!!!!!

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ May 13 2008, 05:02 AM) [snapback]11478[/snapback]

Just a comment about the coupons. We requested two coupons and were denied as our mailing address uses a Post Office Box number. So I called and spoke to an individual who stated they do not send to PO Box # and needed an actual street address, but we do not receive our mail there. We tried the street address but was denied again. It's not really worth all the trouble for two lousy coupons, but that maybe just the Feds way to cut their costs in dealing with this subject........namely the coupons @ $40.00 each. Pure nonsense !!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding! If I remember from the website (ok, I'm too lazy to look.....), I THINK there was a way for you to get your coupons at a PO Box......

Lordy!

Well, TECHNICALLY, since I had cable, I wasn't SUPPOSED to order a coupon. The reason I got a coupon is because..... I WAS going to use it in the RV, until I went and traded my TV with RV attached for a new TV with RV attached...... I gave the box away with my previous RV, so I don't have it anymore.

JJ

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Coupon update...........

When I tried the online coupon website, we were denied because of the PO Box being used, upon calling and speaking to customer service, our physical address was then used. Being a small community, those in the PO know most box holders.
    The last time I checked at the coupon call number, only a few days ago, May 13th, when using the reference number, the request was still denied. Guess what arrived in the mail, at our PO Box, with our street address scant the PO Box number yesterday.......two coupons!!!! Boy are they screwed up..........

7. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ May 15 2008, 04:34 AM) [snapback]11497[/snapback]

Coupon update...........

When I tried the online coupon website, we were denied because of the PO Box being used, upon calling and speaking to customer service, our physical address was then used. Being a small community, those in the PO know most box holders.
    The last time I checked at the coupon call number, only a few days ago, May 13th, when using the reference number, the request was still denied. Guess what arrived in the mail, at our PO Box, with our street address scant the PO Box number yesterday.......two coupons!!!! Boy are they screwed up..........