Three Way Fridge

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Jun 28, 2009.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I have a three way fridge and wish to prevent it from defaulting to propane when disconnecting from shore power.

Does anyone know if I can simply turn off the propane valve at the fridge to force this to happen without causing damage to the unit?

Thanks!

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

Look at the relay that changes system over to LP. The unit will change over to LP gas off and on. Then system will try a couple times then fail. If you block the relay or remove 12 power to it that will stop the change over. You can pull out the PC card and see how it is set up also see the relay as it moves. Open lead to coil will do the trick.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

Removing 12 volt power would defeat the control system on the Fridge, which means it would not run--besides which I probably want to use 12 volt while trundling down the road.

Thank you for the idea about the relay.

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jun 28 2009, 10:22 AM) [snapback]17194[/snapback]

Don,

Look at the relay that changes system over to LP. The unit will change over to LP gas off and on. Then system will try a couple times then fail. If you block the relay or remove 12 power to it that will stop the change over. You can pull out the PC card and see how it is set up also see the relay as it moves. Open lead to coil will do the trick.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I have a two way fridge ac and propane. I had a long trip ahead and my propane regulator died on me and I had lost all my propane. I had to get a new one. I unplugged the fridge and plugged it into the socket that powered the ice maker. It ran just fine on the inverter for that trip till camping world opened and I could get a new regulator and install it.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Don,

NO, you cut the path on PC board to coil on relay the turns on the LP gas. Later in life you can solder the path back together again. You only need a very small cut across the foil path. First off find the correct relay (you only have two or three) than powers the gas valve. That is the one you open up the relay path on. This will stop the gas valve. The 12 volts will be the same on all other parts of the PC board. You will need to remove PC board to do the cut.