Tips On Planning A Trip Across The Country

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by NicInNC, May 4, 2009.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC
    Expand Collapse

My DH and I have always wanted to do a cross country trip. Our kids are ages 9 and 11. I would love to start saving to do this next year. We live in NC and know that Yellowstone, Yosemite and Utah.

If anyone out there has done this, can you give tips, must see places, etc? Thanks!

2. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

See the thread in RV Park Discussions titled "mt trip". It has some of my thoughts on the western part of your trip. Good travels.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

My recomendation would be to have very loose plans with just several destinations and just decide your stops on the fly. I think over planning can lead to a less fun trip.

4. WOOLFY

WOOLFY
    Expand Collapse

5. BJS

BJS
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(NicInNC @ May 4 2009, 05:49 PM) [snapback]16249[/snapback]

My DH and I have always wanted to do a cross country trip. Our kids are ages 9 and 11. I would love to start saving to do this next year. We live in NC and know that Yellowstone, Yosemite and Utah.

If anyone out there has done this, can you give tips, must see places, etc? Thanks!

We have done multiple cross country trips and feel that planning is the key to a successful trip.

Planning takes the stress out of a trip and allows you to plan stops and campgrounds that will have things for your children to do. Make sure you don't plan road days that are overly long because they can cause children to be very unhappy and parents that are very tired.

If you are planning on visiting Yellowstone and Yosemite make your reservations as early as they allow. The campgrounds in these parks fill up rapidly and reservations will allow you to be sure and have a spot. Visit the National Parks web site for more information and about the parks in Utah.

6. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I am leaving in less than two weeks for a 6,000 mi plus trip from Florida to Jasper and back. Will let you all know how it goes. Am posting on a blog at Goodsam.com

7. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

8. Warren's

Warren's
    Expand Collapse

I believe planning is the key. We are not going cross country from us the Grand Canyon is around 1200 miles one way it is our first where we go that far. At first it was overwelming because it is over the 4th of July and we did not want to get stuck running around looking for a campsite. So we planned it all and made reservations some places charge a fee for reservations but to us it was worth it. Staying a few days everyplace we go so we can sight see and just relax so there is no rush coming back and when we leave to the next campground is 4 1/2 hrs at the most away. 90% of our campground will be in state and federal parks. Our kids are 7 and 8. I would just get on the internet sites like these they are very helpful and campgrond sites and start planning going where you want to go. Have a Great time! Mike