Tire Blow Out

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by paul hogg, Jul 4, 2011.

1. paul hogg

paul hogg
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I just returned from a great trip to Verona, New York with our new F150 and a new 2011 Rockwood 2317g. The trailer weighs 2445 lbs dry and 3318 lbs wet. On our way home and on the highway after driving 5 hours, we had a blow out. The side wall blew and steel belts shredded. With the assistance of a passer by, we changed the tire and continued on our way home (1 hour). My concern is two fold. The side wall, of the Tow Max ST185/80/R13 states the max weight per tire is 1480 lbs. I estimate our wet weight was about 3000 lbs. Prior to the trip, the air pressure was checked at 50 psi. Are these tires which came standard with the trailer too small and any suggestions on us purchasing 3 new tires on steel rims. Thanks

2. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(paul hogg @ Jul 4 2011, 07:47 AM) [snapback]26672[/snapback]

My wife and I just returned from a great trip to Verona, New York with our new F150 and a new 2011 Rockwood 2317g. The trailer weighs 2445 lbs dry and 3318 lbs wet. On our way home and on the highway after driving 5 hours, we had a blow out. The side wall blew and steel belts shredded. With the assistance of a passer by, we changed the tire and continued on our way home (1 hour). My concern is two fold. The side wall, of the Tow Max ST185/80/R13 states the max weight per tire is 1480 lbs. I estimate our wet weight was about 3000 lbs. Prior to the trip, the air pressure was checked at 50 psi. Are these tires which came standard with the trailer too small and any suggestions on us purchasing 3 new tires on steel rims. Thanks

I would say that you are way to close to the max weight if that is a single axle trailer.If you have room I would go to a 14 inch rim and get some D rated tires from Tire Rack.The only place I have found D rated for 14 inch rims.Plus if you can`t do that try to find some tires that at least are not from China.Read the other RV sights about them. JMHO tires are cheaper than fixing what a blow out can tear up. :(

3. Tireman9

Tireman9
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(paul hogg @ Jul 4 2011, 09:47 AM) [snapback]26672[/snapback]

When you say the wet weight is 3318 I assume this is based on actual scale weights. What is the actual load on the axle? Have you confirmed you really have 50/50 side to side loading? Most TT are at least 5% unbalanced with some out of bal side to side by 20%.
    Do you know if your pressure gauge is accurate?
    Do you check your pressure before each trip and every travel day?

Do you always keep tour speed under 65 mph? This is the max the tires are rated for at the pressure and load moulded into the tire.

Check out my blog www.RVTireSafety.com

4. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(paul hogg @ Jul 4 2011, 09:47 AM) [snapback]26672[/snapback]

Paul,
    If your unit is a single axle, then you are already overloaded since your best case scenario is a gross weight of only 2,960 has already been exceeded. I would suggest either moving to a larger tire or a higher load range for the current size. I also agree that you should seriously consider getting a tire not made in China as replacements. I have the same tire brand on my 2010 Outback and am watching them very carefully since I have heard nothing but bad things about them.
    As for where to replace them, I have purchased tires from Discount Tire and Tire Rack and have been pleased with both of them. I priced tires at Sam's Club and was very surprised to see how high their tire prices were for TTs.
    Free advice dispensed daily and you get what you pay for.

5. Tireman9

Tireman9
    Expand Collapse

Paul,
    You asked if the tires were too small. I think the correct question might really be - Have you loaded too much "stuff" into the trailer?

Your Tire Placard has the information on tire size, Maximum Load and Minimum Inflation.

If you have exceeded the load or run under the minimum inflation or run faster than 65 mph without making adjustments to load and inflation then in all probability you are lucky that you only had one "blow-out".

The other tire has in all probability suffered internal structural damage that might only be detectible with X-Ray examination.

The safest thing to do is to replace the 2nd tire also.