Tire Chains Om Rv's

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Nov 1, 2007.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Apparently tire chains are required in WA, OR, and CA. Does anyone carry them? Where would I get them? Les Schwab is a good place for TIRES in the Western US, but would they carry chains for RV's?

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Drive in warm weather and save the money. Snow is a pain to drive in anyplace. We travel in southwest in cool weather, hate snow.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Nov 4 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]9011[/snapback]

Drive in warm weather and save the money. Snow is a pain to drive in anyplace. We travel in southwest in cool weather, hate snow.

Believe me, I don't want to buy chains. However, I live in WA, and if it snows, I generally don't drive. However, I'm driving to CA for Thanksgiving, and I fear I might need chains between Grants Pass, OR and Weed, CA (Mount Shasta area....). Or, maybe I could drive down the coast highway.....

JJ

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ

Where did you get your "apparent" info? Check with each state (WA, OR, and CA) dept. of transportation concerning chains and RVs. You may be freaking out again about this trip for no reason. I do not know about I-5 in the Weeds area near Mt. Shasta, but the I-5 passes in southern OR are only around 2000 feet so we are not talking about long, steep climbs over high mountain passes. I certainly can not guarantee that you won't see snow in these areas, but I think mid to late November is a little early for heavy snows at 2-300 feet in the I-5 corridor of OR and northern CA. Also, I hope that by this time you have realized that you will not be driving anywhere near the feared L.A. traffic on your visit to Lancaster.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Nov 4 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]9021[/snapback]

JJ

Where did you get your "apparent" info? Check with each state (WA, OR, and CA) dept. of transportation concerning chains and RVs. You may be freaking out again about this trip for no reason. I do not know about I-5 in the Weeds area near Mt. Shasta, but the I-5 passes in southern OR are only around 2000 feet so we are not talking about long, steep climbs over high mountain passes. I certainly can not guarantee that you won't see snow in these areas, but I think mid to late November is a little early for heavy snows at 2-300 feet in the I-5 corridor of OR and northern CA. Also, I hope that by this time you have realized that you will not be driving anywhere near the feared L.A. traffic on your visit to Lancaster.

Thanks, Jerry! Well, November 1 is the day that WA allows chains and studs. The TV station here said chains were required in OR and CA, too, on Mountain Passes. And I agree with you, that the I-5 corridor shouldn't get that much snow, but years and years ago (I was in my 30's) I drove it in a car in January and hit a little skiff of snow in northern CA.

I have my trip all mapped out on Good Sam trip routing, except Good Sam recommended exiting I-5 at Stockton or somewhere and following HW 99. My friend said DON'T DO THAT! (And he said that a week before the "pileup" that occurred this last weekend on HW99!!!). I checked Mapquest, and Mapquest routes it the way my friend said.

Yes, I'm still panicking, but I have to do this, so I know how I do with LONG DISTANCE driving that takes more than two days.

JJ

6. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

I try once more. I noticed that your response uses the words "allows" and "on mountain passes." Again, please check with each state and be specific as to time of travel (daytime in mid November), mode of transportation (RV), and route (I-5). Also, I was surprised that someone living in a west coast state did not know about California's restrictions on produce transport. A month from now you will be back home wondering why you were so worried about all these things (strain of the drive, chains, route, reservations, cancellation fees, LA traffic, fruit, etc.). Have a good trip and a great Turkey Day.

8. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 4 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]9020[/snapback]

QUOTE(John Blue @ Nov 4 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]9011[/snapback]

Believe me, I don't want to buy chains. However, I live in WA, and if it snows, I generally don't drive. However, I'm driving to CA for Thanksgiving, and I fear I might need chains between Grants Pass, OR and Weed, CA (Mount Shasta area....). Or, maybe I could drive down the coast highway.....

JJ

JJ

I live in the central valley and my parents live on the Rogue river in Oregon and drive a 40' pusher over Grants Pass all the time. I haven't heard of any bad weather yet so I really don't think you are going to have any trouble. Also unless you are going somewhere other than down south you wouldn't need to get on 99. As far as the "pile up" that happened about 5 miles from my house, the possible cause was a DUI driver and a patch of fog. For some reason people still drive stupid in the fog, it had nothing to do with the road. Just be careful, take your time and enjoy yourself, it's a beautiful drive most of the way.

Just my opinion,

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Nov 9 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]9089[/snapback]

JJ,

I try once more. I noticed that your response uses the words "allows" and "on mountain passes." Again, please check with each state and be specific as to time of travel (daytime in mid November), mode of transportation (RV), and route (I-5). Also, I was surprised that someone living in a west coast state did not know about California's restrictions on produce transport. A month from now you will be back home wondering why you were so worried about all these things (strain of the drive, chains, route, reservations, cancellation fees, LA traffic, fruit, etc.). Have a good trip and a great Turkey Day.

About the produce, it has been 20 years since I had been to California, I forgot about the fruit resrictions. And I hope you are right, I hope I will be wondering why I was so worried! I will just take it slow. After all, I have driven back and forth across the country in a car, why should an RV be different?

JJ