To Mexico Or Not To Mexico ?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Galli, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I know, I heard lot of people singing how wonderful is to spend time in Mexico and more or less the same amount of people presenting a negative aspect to it.
    Who’s right or wrong and why so many opposite point of view on this issue !
    I have never been to Mexico, at least with my 5th.W., and I am really evaluating all these information available in order to have a picture of what I am expected to find there and in doing so, I will outline all negative/positive issues, in my possession and would like your concurrence or….. kill me if I am wrong:
    NEGATIVE Items:

Insurance cost: Mexico does not recognize the Canadian insurance company, therefore, in order to be out of trouble two years ago, I made few enquiries with several insurance companies and in order to fully protect my truck and 5th.W. it would have cost me an average of US$ 45 per day.
    In reviewing the comments from people used to go there and learned that most of them are ensuring the unit for the time required to go from the US boarder to the specific campground and to return to the USA boarder. If it is adopted the above option, what would you use to visit the surrounding places ?

Road facility: I have been told that, unless you travel on highways which are quite expensive, the regular roads and traffic in Mexico is a nightmare.

Campsites: Unless you go to the most renown one which may be comparable with the good one in the USA, most of the others are clean, not unlimited water and the people very helpful but the camp feature not up to date (i.e. only 15 AMPS and the power surge is very common, therefore, unless you use the surge protector, you may damage your unit equipment.

Security: In line with what I read, it is suggested to avoid traveling at night because of the road conditions or to spend the nights in remote places without some protection; this caution should also be considered here, however, it is our part of the world and we should know how to behave here.
    One other thing that was repeated by several campers is the fact that the police stops you often to check for drugs and often asks you for some gift.

Government Read tape: I understand that if you need documentation because an accident or to ferry you and your car/trailer from the Baja to the continent or vice versa, it takes ages before completing the transaction.

Gasoline : It is available mostly in every place provided that the stations are not closed.

POSITIVE PART:

Locations: It appears that no matter where you go in Mexico, the places are worth to be seen, the views are spectacular and people very helpful.

Shopping : According to what I read, the local products are exquisite and at a real bargain price.

Medication in general: are very safe and very convenient, however, this should be of secondary importance for Canadians since we do have a Medicare here.

Well, this is what I came up with my analysis, this part of the world is appealing but…..
    Any comments from your part ?

2. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

You might get more response if you look around...some forums have whole threads on Mexico/South America RV travel.

We wouldlove to go sometime and do "piggy back" tour.

http://www.coppercanyonrvtours.com/

jmo

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Galli,

I think all your points are correct. Number more items to think about. Do not carry a gun into Mexico or you may spent years in some old jail cell. Your medical ins. is dead as soon as you travel outside of Canada if like the USA. We buy ins. on all travel outside USA to cover all problems. If you need help due to sick or etc. you pay the bills to get back home. To fly you back can cost around $75 K to $100K.

Water in Mexico may not be good to drink. AC power is the pitts due to wire size and poor service on grid. You may lose equipment like TV sets, A/C unit, DVD, Sat. Dish, radios, charger equipment, and etc. problems. Need a system to cut off power that drops to low.

Drivers on roads are nuts.

Check RV.net for more good information and have a safe trip down.

4. dan52

dan52
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I have RV'd in Mexico quite a lot and have no problems. Get the guide book by Church and Church "Mexician Camping". The book will tell you all you need to know and is quite honest and accurate. We have have heard all the doom and gloom stories from RV'ers about Mexico and find most of the complainers have never RV'd there but, "heard from a very good friend ect.".

It's another country after all.

Dan and Sandy

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all of you, your comments on this subject, give me an idea of what to expect if I decide to go to Mexico B) ; my original message was not intended to criticize the place but to have a realistic opinion from people that have been there and persist in going there :eek: .
    Notwithstanding that I would have no problems in accepting their restrictions and police controls of your unit for drugs, however, I still find the possible trip too expensive from me, Canadian that has to buy an additional insurance to protect truck and rig and complementary medical insurance for myself and family. :(
    I shall persist in spending my winters in the south eastern-central and western parts of the USA where the winters don't make your skin blue by the cold and the only dress you need are sandals, shorts and T-short. :lol:

6. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Just got this in an email and couldn't help but pass it on :p

Three women go down to Mexico to celebrate college graduation, get drunk, and wake up in jail, only to find that they are to be executed in the morning, though none of them can remember what they did the night before.

The first one, a redhead, is strapped in the electric chair and is asked if she has any last words. She says, "I just graduated from Brigham Young University and believe in the almighty power of God to intervene on the behalf of the innocent." They throw the switch and nothing happens. They all immediately fall to the floor on their knees, beg for forgiveness, and release her.

The second one, a brunette, is strapped in and gives her last words. "I just graduated from Harvard School of Law and I believe in the power of justice to intervene on the part of innocent." They throw the switch and again, nothing happens. Again they all immediately fall to their knees, beg for forgiveness and release her.

The last one ( you know it ), a blonde, is strapped in and says, "Well, I'm from the University of Kentucky and just graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering, and I'll tell ya right now, ya'll ain't gonna electrocute nobody if ya don't plug this thing in."

jmo