To Reserve Or Not To Reserve

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by HorizonQueen, Oct 19, 2007.

1. HorizonQueen

HorizonQueen
    Expand Collapse

HI Ya'll...I am planning a drive from Houston to Big Bend March 2008 3rd week which is our Spring Break. I have tried to get reservations at a couple different places only to be told: "We don't take reservations during Spring Break". I don't drive by the seat of my pants; I have a destination, a route, and a reservation. I am uncomfortable with this common policy. I do, however, want to be near the entrance to Big Bend, with full hook ups (E/W/S), but not in a paved parking lot. A bit of scenery would be nice. (Golly, I hope I am not being too picky!) I would like some feedback, comments, and stories of personal experiences in dealing with this type of dilemma. Should I wing it and go to Big Bend with no reservation and pray it all turns out? or... Should I drive straight through (10 hours - not really possible) and head straight for the one place I did find that accepts reservations but was not top of my list?
    :unsure: Thanks for helping me decide...

2. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We were in the Big Bend area last year at that time. The National Park campgrounds was full! There aren't a lot of places to stay in that area. We stayed at the Marathon Motel & RV Park. It was a 'parking lot' but had a good time! Even though we were almost an hour away from the park entrance the views were great! Oh, we had no reservations and the place got busy but not full. I believe there are other places for RVs further west, but again the choices are limited. We loved the park! It was not busy and the views were awesome. I'm sure you will love it!
    Good luck.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

HorizonQueen> Spring Break. Wouldn't that be like trying to get a reservation at the beach during that time? Your chances would be greater for hitting the Lotto.

Scenary???? You'll be in West Texas. There isn't any scenary out there.

There are no "nice" campgrounds near the entrance to Big Bend. Let me repeat that..NONE. You are not being picky, they just don't exist.

The state campground inside Big Bend is the nicest, but again, it's like trying to get a room on the beach during spring break. There are some decent CGs north of Big Bend in the Ft Stockton and Alpine area, but that would require a least an hour drive. But then there are some interesting things to do in that area..like the McDonald Observatory.

Check this website for reviews of CGs that are along I-10 west of San Antonio that might be handy for an intermediate stop on that 10 hour drive.

You can "pray" for the best to happen, but I don't think the Lord has ever owned an RV. :)

Personally, I'd make a reservation in the Ft Stockton area and then move if something more convenient came available.

As a native Texan who has been to Big Bend a couple of times., I can sympathize with your issue. Good luck.

4. HorizonQueen

HorizonQueen
    Expand Collapse

Thanks RLM & stonybirch for the comments. That is something to consider: Ft. Stockton. The CG at BB according to my book on TX CG claims you cannot run the generators at night and they don't have elec. hookup unless you are in the parking lot with hook ups. I prefer the naturalscape myself (which is why I have an RV in the first place). I hung out in Tucson, AZ for many years and do enjoy that type of desert - the one with some scenery and landscape to it. I was in BB many decades ago for a quick two night stint in a small two-man tent. I cannot wait to go back. I just wish I knew why these folks won't accept reservations. The places I called would not accept reservations. I will check into your ideas. Thanks for the info.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If you haven't done so you should read the reviews on this website for Big Bend. The ones from Feb. 2007 explain about the campgrounds available at Rio Grand Village. Your rig is too big to go into the Chisos Mtn campground. There are also campgrounds in Lajitas and Terlingua. Also look at the review for Stillwell RV Park listed under Alpine. It is supposed to be close to the entrance to BB. The Davis Mountains State Park listed under Fort Davis is a great place to stay, but as others have said it is quite a drive to BB from there. You would think that by starting this early you would be able to get a place to stay, but spring break is a very popular time in this area. Hope you have good luck.

6. Gezzer

Gezzer
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 29 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]9285[/snapback]

If you haven't done so you should read the reviews on this website for Big Bend. The ones from Feb. 2007 explain about the campgrounds available at Rio Grand Village. Your rig is too big to go into the Chisos Mtn campground. There are also campgrounds in Lajitas and Terlingua. Also look at the review for Stillwell RV Park listed under Alpine. It is supposed to be close to the entrance to BB. The Davis Mountains State Park listed under Fort Davis is a great place to stay, but as others have said it is quite a drive to BB from there. You would think that by starting this early you would be able to get a place to stay, but spring break is a very popular time in this area. Hope you have good luck.

7. johnwadams

johnwadams
    Expand Collapse

Call Stillwell Ranch and speak to Nan. If she is not available, call back later. Tell her you have a motorhome or whatever and would like to reserve a full hook up site and pay in advance for a week, then give her the date and hope for the best. Should not cost you over $150. We have stayed there for a week or more with a group for 5 years, but we are out of there by about March 5th. We love the place and it is nicer than Rio Grande Village in the Park. It is about 6 miles outside the East entrance and about 40 to 45 miles south of Marathon. It really is as convenient to the park as RGV is since RGV is at the very south of the park on the Rio Grande river. Stillwell Ranch has a small store, gas and even a Museum.
    I have some pictures at: Bluff City Canoe Club Website and . My Webpage

8. pjb

pjb
    Expand Collapse

:unsure: Thanks for all the info about Big Bend cg's especially to John Adams!! We are going there for Spring Break (March 16). We have been trying to get info about cg's. It has been difficult since you cannot reserve anything. I really appreciate the info and pics about Stilllwell RV park. We had already decided to stay there but your post and pics are a lot of encouragement to us! I knew fall and spring were popular times for BB but who would a thought there are suppose to be that many people in this part of Texas during one particular week!!! Is there any place that is special that we should try to see while there? Thanks again. pjbaker

9. HorizonQueen

HorizonQueen
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pjb @ Mar 11 2008, 07:14 PM) [snapback]10699[/snapback]

:unsure: Thanks for all the info about Big Bend cg's especially to John Adams!! We are going there for Spring Break (March 16). We have been trying to get info about cg's. It has been difficult since you cannot reserve anything. I really appreciate the info and pics about Stilllwell RV park. We had already decided to stay there but your post and pics are a lot of encouragement to us! I knew fall and spring were popular times for BB but who would a thought there are suppose to be that many people in this part of Texas during one particular week!!! Is there any place that is special that we should try to see while there? Thanks again. pjbaker

PJ,
    I plan to be at Stillwell same time. If you get there b4 me save me a full hook-up site 50amp, would ya? Hubby is driving the 36' Itasca Horizon with small black/white dog (Boston Terrier) in his lap. Thanks.

Give us holler when you see us... :)
    The Randalls

10. HorizonQueen

HorizonQueen
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: Well RVer's here is one for the books...
    The family has been planning the BB trip for a year now and was the impetus for our RV purchase. Would you believe the day before we are to leave for our dream week hubby gets not just the flu but pneumonia, too? High fever, cloudy chest x-ray, the whole kit and the kaboodle, too. We were stunned. The upside: I didn't lose any money on reservations. Talk about irony!

Four days flat on his back meant we only had enough time to run down the road to San Antonio for a long weekend, stroll the RiverWalk, Alamo and the Missions. Turned out to be a very nice trip after all.

So the answer to my question: To reserve or not to reserve in Big Bend? Don't reserve; you never know when you will come down with pneumonia.

Note to PJ Baker: Hope you made it and enjoyed your trip. Really wish we could have been there.

Happy Rving Everyone!!! :)

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

So sorry to hear about your hubby getting sick, but in my opinion San Antonio is a much more interesting destination than Big Ben. Course it just depends on what you're looking for. Fortunately BB is not going anywhere. You'll be able to go another time.